Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone show me the back view of the instrumental cluster, not sure if there are light bulb for the temperature and gas icons on the left side of the instrumental cluster. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
30,060 Posts
I believe they may be LED.

But these fine folk will know for sure, even if no pic.
@Dave2302 @M4rCu5 @savcom

You can always rummage in the parts folder and maybe get an exploded view.

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,372 Posts
I believe they may be LED.

But these fine folk will know for sure, even if no pic.
@Dave2302 @M4rCu5 @savcom

You can always rummage in the parts folder and maybe get an exploded view.

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
The web site of slk-links Includes diy videos.
Spare parts: The web site of slk-links <<<Where to find part numbers
Definitely not LED as standard Myk, our stuff was designed and made in the last century ;)

I'm at work atm and all my pics, notes and my spares are at home but off the top of my head, main dash illumination is provided by two T10ish size bulbs @ 2w, and two T5ish sized smaller bulbs @ 1.5w, a further 3 of these are used for the little information windows at the bottom as well - ring bd8.5d seems to ring a bell for those (no pun intended) but it's probably one of the T10ish sized ones that has blown

HTH

·
2,372 Posts
Try this thread ..

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks M4rCu5 for providing the link, based on the images I don't think that there are bulb sockets to light up the temp and gas icons.

·
2,372 Posts
Thanks M4rCu5 for providing the link, based on the images I don't think that there are bulb sockets to light up the temp and gas icons.
Not as such, no.
It's all done by diffusion. The two larger bulbs are placed either side of the speedometer whilst the two smaller bulbs are placed towards the outer left and right edges of the IC from what I can recall.

I found a pic on my phone of a pack of replacements that Ive got for for the little ones - these are 2w (green) instead of the standard 1.5w (beige).

click pic to enlarge
20200729_152419.jpg

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the bulb socket location circulated in red does the diffusion to the 'gas' icon and nothing to the 'temp' icon. Sorry I have to ask as I am not familiar with light diffusion principal. Thanks. Cheers.

Attachments

·
2,372 Posts
Is the bulb socket location circulated in red does the diffusion to the 'gas' icon and nothing to the 'temp' icon. Sorry I have to ask as I am not familiar with light diffusion principal. Thanks. Cheers.
That's the one for the temp guage part of the face which is the far left of the Instrument Cluster (IC) so if you're in the dark over on that side, the bulb isnt working.

The lights hit the diffuser from underneath and are then spread to illuminate various portions of the face or mask.

Think of the IC as having 3 seperate rings which are backlit by 4 bulbs, something like this: •O¤O¤O• - one small bulb on the left which illumes the left half of that first ring - 2nd ring has a larger bulb either side of it which illumes half of the speedo and half of the adjacent ring - 3rd ring has one small bulb on it's right to illume the rhs of the rev counter

HTH

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the one for the temp guage part of the face which is the far left of the Instrument Cluster (IC) so if you're in the dark over on that side, the bulb isnt working.

The lights hit the diffuser from underneath and are then spread to illuminate various portions of the face or mask.

Think of the IC as having 3 seperate rings which are backlit by 4 bulbs, something like this: •O¤O¤O• - one small bulb on the left which illumes the left half of that first ring - 2nd ring has a larger bulb either side of it which illumes half of the speedo and half of the adjacent ring - 3rd ring has one small bulb on it's right to illume the rhs of the rev counter

HTH
Thanks for the clarification, now I have a better understanding of these German technology. lol

·
2,372 Posts
No problem:)

Here you go, the diffuser removed from the IC, the left one of the two larger bulbs also removed as is the mask ..

(click to enlarge)
20190821_232712.jpg

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem:)

Here you go, the diffuser removed from the IC, the left one of the two larger bulbs also removed as is the mask ..

(click to enlarge)
View attachment 585808

I have lights on both the temp and gas indicators thus the bulbs are in good condition. It just that the top part of the gauge is not illuminate equally by the diffuser.

·
Registered 2000 SLK230
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the difference between daytime and night time view of the left side cluster showing the temperature & gasoline gauges.

During the daytime, the gasoline icon is hardly lighted up by the diffusion., the temperature icon is barely lit up.
During the night time, both the temperature and gasoline icons are well lit up even though the light intensity are low than the gauges where the needles sit.

Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry. Cheers.

Attachments

·
2,372 Posts
Now I see what you're getting at and that looks about right to me, they're not overly bright by default.

Here's one of mine ..
20201019_052259.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts