Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2000 SLK with 80k miles that just stopped running as i was going down the highway. The lights and everything stayed on, but the engine just shut down. I thought it was the drive shaft sensor. I had read this on some previous blogs. However it was on a weekend and I had to have it towed to a shop. They treid the new snesor and it did not work. This shop thinks I have a broken drive cahin. I have sensed had the car towed to a MB private shop. My question is that if it was a broken drive chain, wouldnt i have heard something. When i asked the garage that had the car orgionally why they thought this was a broken chain, they said they looked inside under the oil cap and thought that was the issue. I have only owned this car for about 7 months and it has been awesome. I have had the oil changed and i have only put 9k on the car.
I am obviously very concerned about the cost to repair this car. From what i can tell is that if the chain did break, then my engine is shot. I can not afford a replacment at this time. This is my daily driver. I am just sick to think that it could be something like this with only 80k miles on the car. The previous owner took care of this car and I have all the records. Is this common? Could it be the sensor still? How can i find out if the chain did really let go?

Thank you very concerned.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If they looked under the oil filler cap, they would have been looking to see if the cams were turning whilst the engine turned over on the starter. It might not necessarily be the chain - it's more likely to be the cam timing assembly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cam Timming Assembly

Is that a common problem? Can you tell me more about it?

Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant to mention that it was throwing a code on the dash of - 300 not sure what that means i tried to reserch this, but came up empty handed...

·
17,375 Posts
The pic below shows the adjusters on the end of the cams - these are driven by the chain, and dynamically adjust the valve timing. If the chain had broken, I would expect you would have heard it.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thank you again. Do you have any idea what the code may mean - 300?

Are there one or two small wrenches right next to the -300 on your dash? if so that means you had a scheduled maintenance service due 300 miles ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks you are right about the wrench, i should have guessed that. However i had not noticed it before. I feel like a idiot.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,481 Posts
bfox,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks you are right about the wrench, i should have guessed that. However i had not noticed it before. I feel like a idiot.
Please don't feel bad, I learn something new all the time on these forums. Plus most of what I know about SLKs, I learned from SLKWorld or the similar SLK forums on other sites.

Good luck with your repair, I hope it isn't too major of an expense to fix.

·
17,375 Posts
Hello, I have a 2000 SLK with 80k miles that just stopped running as i was going down the highway. The lights and everything stayed on, but the engine just shut down.. . .
. . . it may be something simple as a dead battery.
Unlikely, as the lights etc. stayed on.

·
Registered--In between SLK's
15,043 Posts
There was a load of frost on the C this morning - almost took the SLK out for the day, but then decided against it at the last moment. Now really regretting it, as it looks wonderful outside! :p
Yeah i know what you mean mate, felt kinda strange this morning clearing off the frost, glad i did, love driving round with the roof down when its a bit cooler, heated seats check! air scarf check! ray bans check!

the looks you get off people! :butt:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Welcome from Blighty..... :)

I've commented on you camshaft problem in the general discussion thread..

As for the frost yesterday morning, I used the garden hose to rinse the ice off the car, droppped the lid and drove into work in the beautiful sunshine.... :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts