Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a few 230's. One shows a AMG badge but not seeing where it matches anything I find on line. Is this a std that someone changed the wheels and added the badge to? Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts
There is no AMG except

SLK 32 and SLK 55

they are hand made engines

The SLK 43 is named AMG but that is production line

mb makes more money by selling official add ons like AMG wheels and AMG body kits

but those are NOT AMGS :D

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,921 Posts

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,451 Posts
It may have been added by a previous owner (see def'n of "poser" :wink: ) but some vehicles depending on options get that badge (not sure how far back that ability goes though) but if you can post the VIN here we can tell you what it was "born" with.

·
12,451 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,110 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
2,011 Posts
Hi,

There was an article somewhere about some Mercedes Dealerships who were "up selling" an AMG Upgrade for thousands, and just adding a Badge and a set of Wheels.

These days these Cars are now called AMG "line", I know that because my 2017 E Class ex demonstrator was such an animal, came from the factory that way !!

But yes, there are plenty posers who add badges, even some like myself who add Brabus badges and other bits and pieces to their (currently) V6 R170 :grin:

It is however great fun to be sat outside a Pub or Cafe, next to un initiated "Sports Car experts" who have scrutinised your Car and are having a discussion as to why your (atm) almost stock SLK 320 is a "Genuine Brabus" because you can tell by the Stainless Rollbars, Paddle Shifts etc etc blah blah lol
I was itching to join that conversation, but Mel wouldn't let me :frown:

Personally I don't have a problem with it as long as a seller is not trying to pass a Car off as such for extra money, and provided of course the Car in question is upgraded and not just a standard one, there are "Hot Rodders" all around the world :wink:

Cheers Dave

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,110 Posts
Personally I don't have a problem with it as long as a seller is not trying to pass a Car off as such for extra money, and provided of course the Car in question is upgraded and not just a standard one, there are "Hot Rodders" all around the world :wink:

Cheers Dave
"as long as a seller is not trying to pass a Car off as such for extra money"

Exactly that. Sadly some do.
We have many threads on here covering the topic.

Not helped by sellers using cut and paste from other sales descriptions.

Nor by us, the buyer, not working our way thoroughly through sales lists.

·
12,451 Posts
Hi,

There was an article somewhere about some Mercedes Dealerships who were "up selling" an AMG Upgrade for thousands, and just adding a Badge and a set of Wheels.
Not just MB.

I'm looking (correction was ) at a used '18 Accord as a Civic replacement. According to the dealer, among the reasons why this was worth more than the standard Accord (and commanded a higher resale price) was the owner added 19" wheels and side moulding.

Whoop de doo on side moulding BUT this Accord comes standard with 19" :surprise: .

Electrical issues I found (and also experienced) online when researching known problems with this model soured the deal for me.

What I'm saying is it's not unique to MB dealers to upsell stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts