Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who aren't aware, for model year 2000, Mercedes imported only 26 Designo C opper SLK230s to the US. This was the only year they were produced. So, seeing one can be rare.

For the longest time, I thought I had the only one in the Phoenix area. Well, on my way to work today, what do I see crossing traffic at Glendale and Dysart...aNOther Designo C opper. WHAT?!? :laugh:

So, of course, I had to pursue. Finally caught up to a woman and her daughter, kind of. Short chat at the light to find out she was as surprised to see me as I was her. I wasn't quick enough to give her a business card, but I did tell her to go to SLKWorld.com and make a connection here...we'll see. Hopefully she sees this.

Btw, I now have two (2) Designo C oppers due to totaling my first one back in February. I've wanted to share the story, but had to wait to make sure I wasn't going to be charged with any violations.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,921 Posts
Hope you and Stacy were both okay and did not get hurt. Nice that you found another copper for your garage though.

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay...here goes, it's lengthy.

We had someone come into our house through the garage on Feb 23 this year, took my wife's purse, my keys to her car. Took some things out of the garage. Had the nerve to drink a beer and a soda from the garage frig. Then, took her car, closing the door as they left. All this, while she was in another part of the house. Then, they proceeded to spend about $1300 using her debit and credit cards. We filed a police report, but really wasn't holding out much hope of catching whoever it was. So, if that wasn't bizarre enough, fast-forward to the following Saturday morning (Feb 27).

I'm coming home from a meeting driving down the main avenue to my community turn off, what do I see sitting at a side road waiting to enter the road, across from my community, is a guy in my wife's car. (I did some things to her car that made it very distinctive, so as soon as I saw it, I knew it was ours, even though they changed the AZ plates for WA plates.)

I drive about 50 yards to the light to make a left into my community and sat there to see which direction he was going to go. After he doesn't move, I make a u-turn and proceed toward him. When he sees me (I'm in the SLK), he bolts. And, of course, I gave chase.

I called my wife because she's on speed dial in my car, but I can't hardly hear her because the top is down on my car. I DID consider calling 911, but my phone was about dead, and they wouldn't have been able to understand me with the top down anyway, and I wasn't about to let this guy out of my sight.

We go through an intersection, and he makes a turn into another housing area about 4-5 streets past the intersection. So, now we're doing the cat and mouse thing through a housing area. I'm obviously not comfortable with this, and realize this is going to have to stop or innocent bystanders are going to get hurt or killed. But, I'm not about to lose the guy either.

So, coming up to a T-intersection, I decided to pit maneuver him, spinning him CCW backwards into a parked car in the street, and me into the front yard. He regains control and starts down the street again. I got back on the street and a few houses down and pitted him again, spinning him 180 CW into the front yard of another house. At this point, he jumps out of the car and it begins to roll toward the house/yard next door. I decided it was better to stop the car in case it does anymore damage instead of chasing him on foot.

The car stops after running over a chain link fence, and he jumps a wall and gets away.

C ops come with a helicopter, and take statements.

I don't know if they caught him. But, in the course of him jumping out of the car, they recovered his cell phone in the yard when he jumped out of the car, his wallet w/driver's license in the passenger seat, a knife on the floorboard, and a .22 hand gun in the backyard of the wall he jumped.

So, thinking this is over, I get both cars released to me after the Phoenix PD dust the door handles and stereo for prints. I drive my wife's car home (it was more driveable than the SLK because I bent a tie-rod on the second pit maneuver), and then going through it at the house, we find things in the car that don't belong to us. So, I call Glendale PD to come go through the car again. Now, they find a pair of gloves and two velcro "ski" masks under the driver's seat. The Phoenix PD didn't bother to take or print the "Washington" license plate the thief swapped out for our AZ plate (which was still in the car). So, Glendale PD takes that, too, along with some articles found on the center console.

In the end, both her car and mine were totaled by the insurance company. But, I thought, what are the chances anyone is selling another designo? And, low and behold, I find one for sale in Laguna Beach, CA (4 hrs away)! Without hesitation, we drive over and buy it, then drive it back.

Now, since I had some $10K in parts (engine, complete designo interior, OE SLK32 body parts and misc mods) in the first SLK, it was worth it to me to buy it back from the insurance company for $930. And the wife ended up with a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T (It's lots more fun than the Vue, though I could have done without the car payment.)

I've been slowly transferring parts from "Thing 1" to "Thing 2". The second one will be even nicer than the first!

Now...I have TWO of the twenty-six Designo C opper SLK230s. But, I don't recommend the manner in which I procured the second one. :wink:

·
Registered
320 Posts
There must be a moral to this story!
I live in a very quiet (normally) small town in the south of the UK, BUT, I lock the back door if I go upstairs for more than a couple of minutes!
I also take the car keys upstairs when I retire to my pit!
That is all pretty sad I feel!
I once worked for a guy who lived in Kingston, Canada, and he told me he only locked his doors at night! He did'nt even lock them if he went out shopping!
I dread to think what it may be like 20 years down the line!

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I am sick from reading that.. on so many levels. Thank GOD you 2 are alright.. you are a brave soul and a BADASS SLK DRIVER SIR!!! so thrilled everything worked out okay.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,478 Posts
Wow! Glad you are ok and things hopefully will turn out ok!

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There must be a moral to this story!
I live in a very quiet (normally) small town in the south of the UK, BUT, I lock the back door if I go upstairs for more than a couple of minutes!
I also take the car keys upstairs when I retire to my pit!
That is all pretty sad I feel!
I once worked for a guy who lived in Kingston, Canada, and he told me he only locked his doors at night! He did'nt even lock them if he went out shopping!
I dread to think what it may be like 20 years down the line!
The moral of the story is...don't leave the garage door open unless you're working in it.

But, you're right, it's a sad state our world has come to. :|

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sick from reading that.. on so many levels. Thank GOD you 2 are alright.. you are a brave soul and a BADASS SLK DRIVER SIR!!! so thrilled everything worked out okay.
Yes, this could have turned out much worse for both of us. Because of that (and just daily living) "He" is regularly thanked on so many levels. :wink:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,921 Posts
Scary to hear what the bad guy had with him. Glad it worked out for you.

P.S. remind me not to try and pull away from you the next time we are together on a run. lol

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear you're alright.

Were the police ok with you "pit maneuvering" him? :hail:
Thanks.

No, they weren't thrilled with my "skill set". Which is why I was waiting to share the story before I could find out if they were going to charge me with anything. It's been 5 mos. I'd think if they were going to do anything, they'd have contacted me by now.

Reactions: Copper Sport

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kevin,

I replied several times to you PM. For some reason it won't let me reply back. Let me know if you received a reply. I tried multiple times so I hope you weren't bombarded!

·
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kevin,

I replied several times to you PM. For some reason it won't let me reply back. Let me know if you received a reply. I tried multiple times so I hope you weren't bombarded!
I got one. It may have had to do with your post count. I think 15 posts is the minimum before you can PM.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,478 Posts
Kevin,

you now have 17 posts which means, after the system updated/refreshed, your messages went. before that, they went to never never land

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Glad to know that no one got hurt.

I prolly would take photo of license plate and report to police and hope they are able to catch the offending individual.

I have to make sure the garage door and all other doors are locked before I even go to the upper floor of the residence.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
WOW! That is some harrowing experience you had. We just never know what will happen on any given day. It is so unsettling that our safety is compromised by brazen thieves. I am so glad you are ok and were not given further grief by the authorities. Shocking those same authorities missed such a high profile car still being driven in the area where it was stolen - they could have nabbed the guy on a routine stop. Have no idea why, but I thought of that old show 'Dragnet' after reading your post.

Anyhow, I am glad you were able to purchase the totaled car to save some of your investment in it. Well done. And getting another SLK the same colour was a definite win. Love that colour.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.