Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at some new rims and tires and was looking if anyone knew or have installed 20" rims on the car and if they had any problems?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,421 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you have not, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you have not, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for security updates and repairs to the site. Any amount is welcome! Thanks!

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Why 20s? Most here frown on 20" wheels for the SLK. Check into some 19" wheels and see what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
frown? meh, actually I am the type that believes that any car should be kept as true to OEM as possible. I have a severely pitted AMG rim and the dealer wants 700 for the rim. I know I can shop around and I did some work for a friend that sells rims and tires and went to see him. I just wanted 17"s to replace the rims I have and had an unbeatble "friend" price for the 20's. Personally, I never imagined it , which is why I posted the question. I dont think 20's would even fit without mods which I dont want to get into.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Most SLK owners going aftermarket, go 19". Even the SLK Black series comes with factory 19" wheels. The only real difference between 18" and 19" wheels is a lower profile tire (not super low profile) used on the 19" wheel. Bigger, not excessive, wheels are better. I remember the 60s & 70s when most performance cars came with 14" wheels :)td:).

Attachments

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:biglaugh:I can beat that. I had a brand new Seat 850d (Spanish licensed manufactured Fiat) that I purchased new in !972 that came with 12" wheels. I later "upgraded" to 13s (WOW). If I remember correctly, the original mini Cooper's came with 10" wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I thought they were over***** If I do do it, it will most likely be 18's I was just curious

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,381 Posts
To keep the speed the same you would need to change from the 245X45X16 tire to a 225X30X20. The 255 is 10 inches wide and the 225 will be 8.9 inches wide (narrow tire and small foot print). The sidewall would change from 4.5 inches to 2.7 inches. The old tire height is 25 inches and this would be 25.4 inches. It would fit the fenders okay, but the offset will need spacers. When the speedometer read 60 you would really be doing 60.8.

You would have an all rim look and little tire side wall showing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.