Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just wanted to inquire and see if anyone had tried 20 inch wheels on their slk 55s....What were the specs for wheels and tires and what are the expected performance changes if there are any? Also any rubbing issues??? Thanks :tu:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bump! I've read its possible, but it makes for a very unenjoyable ride. still haven't heard from anyone who done it here though. I'll stick to 19s when i get mine.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
20's will seriously look out of place as it will increase ride height of your car due to higher diameter of the wheels, which then therfore requires you to get atleast coilovers to achieve a proper drop and when you do it might rub against the tyres atleast.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Look here, one guy in Germany seems to have done it.
http://www.mbslk.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=48532&forum=4&start=10&highlight=Zoll AMG
http://www.mbslk.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=48532&forum=4&highlight=Zoll AMG

Concerning rubbing issues: Yes, there was necessary some work in the wheelhouses. But the German authorities (TÜV or Dekra) has accepted it.

front: 8,5 x20 ET43 with 225/30 tyres
rear: 9,5 x20 ET43 with 245/30 tyres
and 10 mm spacers around.

Originally he wanted to install 235/30 and 265/25 tyres, but these are very difficult to get.

There are discussions in the article shown above, whether the photos are faked or all information are correct. I wouldn't do it: The optimum for our SLK are 18 or 19 inch wheels.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Why 20" wheels? Most here that go aftermarket go with 19" wheels. Proven look and fit. The SLK in the link above looks good IMO, stationary. Not worth the expense and aggravation to realize you made a mistake. I tend to take the advice of those that are smarter than I am.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you that took the time to share your opinions and experiences. My line of thought was always to stay with the 19s. I just wanted to inquire and get some information on what people thought about the 20s. My slk is not an everyday car. I've only put about 4000 miles in a year and a half. The thought crossed my mind of going to the 20 inch wheels but I think I may stay put with the 19s. Do not want to go through the hassle of doing any modifications to the car :mad:. Thanks again to everyone that responded!!!! :tu:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks to all of you that took the time to share your opinions and experiences. My line of thought was always to stay with the 19s. I just wanted to inquire and get some information on what people thought about the 20s. My slk is not an everyday car. I've only put about 4000 miles in a year and a half. The thought crossed my mind of going to the 20 inch wheels but I think I may stay put with the 19s. Do not want to go through the hassle of doing any modifications to the car :mad:. Thanks again to everyone that responded!!!! :tu:
I used 20' b4 and its just okay for me, my SLK is a daily car so i've swap standard wheels for daily comfy...

20 will looks fine if fits properly from a pro shop...

Just my opinion R)R)

Have a great day everyone :rb:rb

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Don't do it.

19s fit wonderfully but 20 is taking the pi$$ if i'm honest.
Exactly. Some people have done it, but to be honest, 19;s look good along with 18;s depends on your roads, where I have bent two sets of 18's in pot hole pennsylvania.

·
Registered
48 Posts
:confused:Why 20" wheels? Most here that go aftermarket go with 19" wheels. Proven look and fit. The SLK in the link above looks good IMO, stationary. Not worth the expense and aggravation to realize you made a mistake. I tend to take the advice of those that are smarter than I am.
-1-,

What size are your wheels? I've actually been thinking about those exact wheels (akin to those on the cl63). Looking good! Painted black, they'd look good on my black slk.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
-1-,

What size are your wheels? I've actually been thinking about those exact wheels (akin to those on the cl63). Looking good! Painted black, they'd look good on my black slk.
:)This is my second set of aftermarket wheels on my SLK 55. They're 19", 8.5" front 32mm offset, and 9.5" rear 35mm offset. Tires are Michelin PS 2's, 235x35x19 front and 265x30x19 rear. Zero fitment issues. I purchased my wheels off eBay and here's a
LINK for a similar set. Mine are silver, but they're available in gunmetal, etc. A lot of wheel, and a quality wheel for the money.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
:)This is my second set of aftermarket wheels on my SLK 55. They're 19", 8.5" front 32mm offset, and 9.5" rear 35mm offset. Tires are Michelin PS 2's, 235x35x19 front and 265x30x19 rear. Zero fitment issues. I purchased my wheels off eBay and here's a
LINK for a similar set. Mine are silver, but they're available in gunmetal, etc. A lot of wheel, and a quality wheel for the money.
Very nice. Have you considered the version with the lip? Personally, I think deep dish rims look good on a full size sedan (i.e. S class, 7 series, etc.) but I've never seen it on such a small car. Any thoughts? These wheels look pretty good and they're black too. Check out the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-RS-WHEELS-MERCEDES-C230-E55-CLS-63-CLK-CL-SL55-AMG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d5930584835620860932QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ43953QQitemZ300505850302#ht_2365wt_863

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,623 Posts
indpdntrd,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Very nice. Have you considered the version with the lip? Personally, I think deep dish rims look good on a full size sedan (i.e. S class, 7 series, etc.) but I've never seen it on such a small car. Any thoughts? These wheels look pretty good and they're black too. Check out the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-RS-WHEELS-MERCEDES-C230-E55-CLS-63-CLK-CL-SL55-AMG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d5930584835620860932QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ43953QQitemZ300505850302#ht_2365wt_863
:)My first set of 19" wheels had a one inch lip on front and two inch on rear. I liked the wheels and especially the lip, just wanted a change. Personally, I'm not into dark wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
indpdntrd,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Hi,

I tried to update it with my car information but the "edit about me" takes me to a page that doesn't actually allow me to edit. It just puts everything as "n/a." Any suggestions? Sorry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
:)My first set of 19" wheels had a one inch lip on front and two inch on rear. I liked the wheels and especially the lip, just wanted a change. Personally, I'm not into dark wheels.
-1-,

Can you send some shots of the wheels on the car from side view, please? Both your current wheels and the older ones with the lip. Can you also send one from the rear (curious how wide they look from the back)? Did you replace your coils or need spacers? The wheels I am looking at are 30mm offset in the front. Do you predict problems with fitment? Many thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
245 /35/19 would interfere with the fender right? You don't have any issues with 265 in the rear? It would be ok to go that wide on stock 18inch wheels with out fender modification?

265/35/19 would be ok as well? Do you have any more pics of the car? )

Thanks in adv

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.