Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the weekend I installed clear side marker lights and a matching pewter shorty antenna. Neither one is earth shattering and you've all seen them before- but I think they both offer modest, tasteful improvements in the looks of the car. While I was snapping pics in the garage, I couldn't resist taking another of the nose of the car too. Ahhh..... beautiful! It became my avatar!!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
It's an SL-type antenna (R230). IIRC, there are aftermarket ones at ebay but don't know how good they are. Prop Dr also posted some photos and links I recall. Also, check the DIY section on modifying the shorty R170 antenna, there are some photos of the SL type antenna too in that thread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Where did you get the shorty pewter antenna? I did the side markers last summer, as well, very easy with a good effect, I'd say.
As etyu suggested, this one came from Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-OEM-1997-2010-SL-SLK-Pewter-Short-Antenna-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb3c2f672QQitemZ260713936498QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1686wt_1167

This is an OEM Mercedes antenna for SL cars; fits SLK perfectly.

Many have suggested the shorty antenna will never offer as good a reception as the full-length but it really doesn't matter to me. I haven't tested it yet (car is in the garage with 8" of snow on the ground outside. ARGH!) but I actually don't EVER listen to the AM or FM radio in any of my vehicles- only Sirius, XM or CD so I don't really care how well it works- purely cosmetic in my case.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Remove the base of the antenna and have it painted to match the car, will look much better.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
As etyu suggested, this one came from Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-OEM-1997-2010-SL-SLK-Pewter-Short-Antenna-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb3c2f672QQitemZ260713936498QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1686wt_1167

This is an OEM Mercedes antenna for SL cars; fits SLK perfectly.

Many have suggested the shorty antenna will never offer as good a reception as the full-length but it really doesn't matter to me. I haven't tested it yet (car is in the garage with 8" of snow on the ground outside. ARGH!) but I actually don't EVER listen to the AM or FM radio in any of my vehicles- only Sirius, XM or CD so I don't really care how well it works- purely cosmetic in my case.

The range for using remote key (radio frequency) will be reduced to 10 meters, unmodified. Modified, the range can reach 30 meters. I don't know how the ones from ebay perform.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Over the weekend I installed clear side marker lights and a matching pewter shorty antenna. Neither one is earth shattering and you've all seen them before- but I think they both offer modest, tasteful improvements in the looks of the car. While I was snapping pics in the garage, I couldn't resist taking another of the nose of the car too. Ahhh..... beautiful!

Looks great. My slk is black so I've been considering the smoked version. How was install? Steps? Did you have to remove the bumper?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read one or more of the helpful "how to's" here on SLKWorld which helped, but in the end only getting in there with a trouble light and a dirty hand makes sense of it all.

First one (passenger side) took about 20 minutes total as I unbolted 2 bolts to loosen the inner fender liner and removed the single Torx bit holding the light in place. Twist and remove the bulb/wiring and then POP out the light and lens to the outside of the car after releasing the single tab lock. Then the lens "hinges" and opens like a clamshell. Reverse and you're finished.

The second one (driver's side) I didn't even use a shop light or look up in there- just sat cross-legged next the sidemarker light and reached around/in with my right hand did it all by feel, after having "seen" it all the first time. 10 minutes max for the 2nd light.

From getting out tools to washing hands afterwards was no more than 40 minutes- piece of cake.

Just don't FORCE anything as you can break plastic tabs and brackets!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Over the weekend I installed clear side marker lights and a matching pewter shorty antenna. Neither one is earth shattering and you've all seen them before- but I think they both offer modest, tasteful improvements in the looks of the car. While I was snapping pics in the garage, I couldn't resist taking another of the nose of the car too. Ahhh..... beautiful! It became my avatar!!

Clear sidemarkers (w/ chrome amber bulbs) are a first great mod but I think the smoked sidemarkers on eBay would've looked better-especially with your headlamps. I have them on my SLK-they're a lighter smoke color than my old clear sidemarkers with colored tint film.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I read one or more of the helpful "how to's" here on SLKWorld which helped, but in the end only getting in there with a trouble light and a dirty hand makes sense of it all.

First one (passenger side) took about 20 minutes total as I unbolted 2 bolts to loosen the inner fender liner and removed the single Torx bit holding the light in place. Twist and remove the bulb/wiring and then POP out the light and lens to the outside of the car after releasing the single tab lock. Then the lens "hinges" and opens like a clamshell. Reverse and you're finished.

The second one (driver's side) I didn't even use a shop light or look up in there- just sat cross-legged next the sidemarker light and reached around/in with my right hand did it all by feel, after having "seen" it all the first time. 10 minutes max for the 2nd light.

From getting out tools to washing hands afterwards was no more than 40 minutes- piece of cake.

Just don't FORCE anything as you can break plastic tabs and brackets!! :mad:
Think about the "aluminum foil" method to cover the 3 holes that are still evident on the clear side marker. Only if you're bored on a Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think about the "aluminum foil" method to cover the 3 holes that are still evident on the clear side marker. Only if you're bored on a Sunday afternoon.

Oooohh.... wish I'd thought about THAT while I was in there. Well... should be easy enough to do!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I second this. I bought two of these from eBay (I don't remember which vendor, but it was a lot lower than the one mentioned here).

The range on the remote is MUCH reduced and so was the radio reception. I don't really care for the radio reception. But the remote range is only like less than 5 feet!!!!

I remembered there was a post on how to modify the shorty antenna? Anyone know??? Thanks.

The range for using remote key (radio frequency) will be reduced to 10 meters, unmodified. Modified, the range can reach 30 meters. I don't know how the ones from ebay perform.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,062 Posts
do a search for 'modify antenna' 2 hits for r170 antenna

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I second this. I bought two of these from eBay (I don't remember which vendor, but it was a lot lower than the one mentioned here).

The range on the remote is MUCH reduced and so was the radio reception. I don't really care for the radio reception. But the remote range is only like less than 5 feet!!!!

I remembered there was a post on how to modify the shorty antenna? Anyone know??? Thanks.
Here's the link by Brent: http://www.slkworld.com/diy-section/4404-how-strengthen-signal-r170-antenna-2.html#post54385

Just be careful of the tiny tube that mates with the central wire at the antenna base. The tube on the OEM SL antenna is very soft and prone to break easily when one screws down the antenna too tight or if it gets misaligned by just 1mm. I still prefer the R170 "shorty" antenna.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts