Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
AND MABEL
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd try my hand at claying Mabel. Bought clay from here ..

Bilt Hamber Auto Clay REGULAR Autoclay Detailing Car Clay Bar 200g | eBay

Seemed very reasonable price, and doesn't require special lubricant, just water. :tu:

Quite stiff to mould into shape, but manageable.

Started on front wing as that was feeling quite gritty. Then the rain came on, so coffee time and waiting for it to stop to do the rest. Can't believe the muck that it's lifting. :surprise: Photo shows dirt from 40cm square area. :frown:

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
It really does lift the ingrained dirt from the paint you cannot see even with regular washing of the car. I have been using the stuff for a few years now. Also leaves the smoothest touch to the paint :smile:

Just make sure you wax (or like) afterwards as it will strip previous wax off the paintwork.

·
Super Moderator
24,259 Posts
Tried it for the first time the other day.

Some numpty had left marks (hand prints and light scratches) all over the CRV.

Clay bar and some stage one polish pretty much did the job.
Can't believe how effective the combo was and no hard effort required either.

No more T cut.

·
AND MABEL
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just make sure you wax (or like) afterwards as it will strip previous wax off the paintwork.
I'd washed (thought it was spotless) and waxed within the last few days, and I can see it is away. Oh well, one job done and another rears its head. Going to wear gloves next time I do this, my hands are stripped too! :D

I can see I'm going to have to invest in a polisher as well. :frown:

Life was so much easier when I drove bangers. No wash and go, just go! >:D

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have one of these clay mitts. Not been used yet but, will do soon as, the SLK needs a nice clay treat. Got the lube/detailers to go with it. Used some of the detailer this morning after washing my cars yesterday to find the local flying poo machines had added their after wash droppings. After cleaning off, I used some detailer as the final clean up and, it did a good job. My first time with Farecia products.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Farecla-7191A-Body-Prep-Clay/dp/B00K4UVUEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461510165&sr=8-1&keywords=clay+mitt

I have always been scared off machine polishers. Whilst they take out the effort, they can also cause problems if not used right. Dodo juice have a good entry level polisher (buff daddy) that is more forgiving than other polishers. I love my dodo products (clay bars, quick detailers, shampoo and waxes) they smell so good and, do what it says on the tin.

The cleaning/detailing thing sure is addictive when you have a nice car.

·
Premium Member
17,692 Posts
It's always fun for me to put my hand in a plastic sandwich bag and lightly moving it across a freshly washed car. You can really feel all the left behind grit. Then do it again after claying. The difference is amazing. You can also feel any spots that may have been missed.

·
Long Time Member
3,639 Posts
also a fan of the clay bar ! once the first clean is done it takes half the time next time round. a good coat of wax, rouge would be good for you

cheers pete

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
also a fan of the clay bar ! once the first clean is done it takes half the time next time round. a good coat of wax, rouge would be good for you

cheers pete
That's a nice silver shine there frogfoot in the attached image. And they say you can't get a nice shine on a silver car :wink:

·
Long Time Member
3,639 Posts
I bought everything to do a complete detail of the exterior and then was fortunate/unfortunate enough to destroy my front cover on a parking block. So now the body shop is going to do a complete detail for me. :/ :)
that blue will look awesome when done, please post some pics

cheers pete

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I too tried clay on my car , tested on the jag boot , also amazed at how much dirt is on there, then tried my da polisher, quick and easy way to polish , rest of the car to follow then roll on the slk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thought I'd try my hand at claying Mabel. Bought clay from here ..

Bilt Hamber Auto Clay REGULAR Autoclay Detailing Car Clay Bar 200g | eBay

Seemed very reasonable price, and doesn't require special lubricant, just water. :tu:

Quite stiff to mould into shape, but manageable.

Started on front wing as that was feeling quite gritty. Then the rain came on, so coffee time and waiting for it to stop to do the rest. Can't believe the muck that it's lifting. :surprise: Photo shows dirt from 40cm square area. :frown:
Don't always believe what you read. I have been using clay bar for probably 15 years to detail vehicles. I would never suggest you use water for the lubricant. I always tell people to get a good detailing spray like Meguires to be sure you maintain the lubrication needed for the clay. It keeps the clay from hanging up on the finish, and anytime you feel the clay dragging, even in the slightest, you have to spray.
The other advantage of using a detailing spray, is that when you are just doing a touch up with the clay, or even doing a larger area, you generally will have very good results when you wipe it down with a microfiber rag.
Remember the best finish on your car is the clear coat. There is no such thing as "building" a wax coat, because that no longer applies. What you DO want is a thin film of a good wax like 3-M or Meguires #1 , applied to clean paint a couple times a year.
In between coats a detailer is fine to maintain the gloss and keep your car looking good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I use the clay bar as a precaution I place some newspapers under where I am working just in case I drop the bar on the ground. If it lands on tarmac it picks up all the grit of the day and is difficult to remove it from the bar.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I use the clay bar as a precaution I place some newspapers under where I am working just in case I drop the bar on the ground. If it lands on tarmac it picks up all the grit of the day and is difficult to remove it from the bar.
I was told that if you drop the clay don't waste the effort in bending down to pick it up, just get a new bit of claybar.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I was told that if you drop the clay don't waste the effort in bending down to pick it up, just get a new bit of claybar.
This is true.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Used Meguiar's clay and Wow I'm amazed how much dirt and grim it removed. Almost seemed like the previous owner parked under a tree due to the back end feeling gritty no matter how much I washed or polished. I'm simply amazed, thanks to all in forum for this tip.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Why not a mixture of car shampoo & water as a lubricant? Using 'detailing' spray seems unnecessarily expensive given that you will be subsequently waxing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts