Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, hello.

first post so let me toss a few things out there.

Current cars:
Prius (wife's)
VW Karmann Ghia (project)
Lotus Exige (track mostly)

I am looking at picking up an SLK 230. it would be the '99 Manual with the sport tuned suspension.

I am in the Seattle Area. Combat vet. MBA Student

I hope to learn about the SLK 230 here not just to aid in my purchase decision but (if I buy) to help me enjoy the car over the next couple of years.

So what are your thoughts then, on the SLK 230 and what should I look out for when I inspect the car and test drive it on Saturday? price is 17,900. It is a former lease contract vehicle with an average of 8,000 miles per year.

laters,

if you could post a link to a thread that already answers this, i wouldn't be offended.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum! Its cool that you have a lotus exige, its an amazing car. I actually sold my turbocharged lotus elise to buy an SLK55 AMG. If I were you, I would definitely think about getting the new SLK350 or old SLK32... you will probably find the old 230 a bit slow after the exige.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi

Hey, welcome to the forum! Its cool that you have a lotus exige, its an amazing car. I actually sold my turbocharged lotus elise to buy an SLK55 AMG. If I were you, I would definitely think about getting the new SLK350 or old SLK32... you will probably find the old 230 a bit slow after the exige.

Hi keith .

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome from Norf Caroliner, Bought a 99 230 sport manual from AZ back in March, $11,500.00, got a steal. Very fun car, sufficient power. There are some things to look for as everything for the car (parts) are high. If the car has been serviced at MB dealers, get vin and drop in dealer for check of service records. A tail light recall is active(mine needed) painless. A general check as buying any used vehicle will id most flaws. What is the mileage? Buying from dealer or individual? Price sounds high unless very low miles and exccellent condition. Ebay a good place to get market values. Enjoy the forum, bunch of experts here if problems arise also mod info abounds from wheels to top kits etc. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually not to pressing on the mods but I'd probably like to get a pulley kit for both the blower and the standard NA pulley upgrades. if you guys have some recommendations to that effect let me know. I have seen a few on here but I just wanted to have a person post, "hey, I bought this kit and I love it" sort of thing. I figure my mod budget would be about a grand. Most of my mod $ will continue to go into the Karmann Ghia and more importantly the Lotus.

Keith, I am planning on the Forcedfed kit too. doing the stage III with a clutch, flywheel upgrade. In the next couple weeks I should have CF seats, harness bar and harness. Next month or two will be TR motorsport Wheels (lightest out there now) and hoosiers. In fall I'll send the car to FF for the install. Then in the spring I'll probably replace the rotor with the lighter version available now. That should be about 30 lbs in reduced rotational mass (gravity on earth being constant) coupled with another 40 lbs reduced wieght from various mods. I should have an Exige right at 1900 lbs with 300 hp crank with less drive train losses than stock and DOT slicks.

Tell me that won't be fun on the track!!

MB will probably never see the track.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Keith, I am planning on the Forcedfed kit too. doing the stage III with a clutch, flywheel upgrade. In the next couple weeks I should have CF seats, harness bar and harness. Next month or two will be TR motorsport Wheels (lightest out there now) and hoosiers. In fall I'll send the car to FF for the install. Then in the spring I'll probably replace the rotor with the lighter version available now. That should be about 30 lbs in reduced rotational mass (gravity on earth being constant) coupled with another 40 lbs reduced wieght from various mods. I should have an Exige right at 1900 lbs with 300 hp crank with less drive train losses than stock and DOT slicks.
Tell me that won't be fun on the track!!
MB will probably never see the track.
Very nice! You'll definitely enjoy your forcedfed kit, its a totally different car turbocharged. You should ask them to fit a cat bypass pipe as well, I noticed a small performance increase and better throttle response after installing it. However, if I had to do it over again, I would definitely get lower compression pistons and raise the boost way up... believe it or not, you'll think that 6-7psi is not enough after a few weeks. R)

P.S. Don't forget bigger brakes and ohlins coilovers too!

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld Bleu!!

I totally enjoy my 2000 Designo! I wanted an SLK from the first time I saw it here in Germany in '99. Had to wait 6 years before it became a reality.

The things to look out for are going to vary depending on how the car was taken care of. Doug already mentioned the tail lights and I've heard people have had issues with the micro switches that enable the top to operate although I've not experienced it personally.

I'm guessing you have around 56K miles on the odometer. $17,500 sounds a little steep. I paid $16K for mine 2 years ago with 78K miles and it was very clean.

Anyway, there are planty of folks here who can help you with anything you encounter. Plus, we're just a bunch of great folks to talk to anyway...huh Doug? :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Welcome Bleu

One thing to look for is the condition of the dashboard and center console coating. The first gen R170's had a pealing problem.
Now how in the world could I have forgotten about the "peel". I still have other parts of the console to finish. It looks good though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kuwait. Great Country. For those that haven't been, you should make the trip. I wish now that I had seen a camel race. Are they really using Robots now?

And yes the name is a bit French.

Can someone explain what the micro switch issue is and what it looks like. How do I find out/test to see if the car I am looking at has the problem?

laters

·
Premium Member
10,721 Posts
Kuwait. Great Country. For those that haven't been, you should make the trip. I wish now that I had seen a camel race. Are they really using Robots now?

And yes the name is a bit French.

Can someone explain what the micro switch issue is and what it looks like. How do I find out/test to see if the car I am looking at has the problem?

laters
Thank you:)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
There's really no way to "see" if there are problems with the micro switchs. If after operating the top a few times and there are no hang ups, then you're probably OK. That's not to say there won't be a problem down the road, but that's not a good argument to keep from proceeding with the purchase. I haven't had any problems with mine and I use my top at least once a day, everyday.

Didn't mean to overly raise your concern on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts