Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm a new owner of a 1999 SLK230 AMG (I know, just the cosmetics) with 110,000kms. It's imported from Japan.

I've downloaded a user manual for an american model, seems pretty much the same.

My question is about the AC system. Mine has the 3 buttons between the two selector knobs. One is defrost, one is the "EC" button and the third is the recirculate button. It's a silly question, but with the EC button pushed in, the light in the button comes on. I'm assuming this indicates the AC is on? It's summer here on the west coast of BC and I have the top down and don't need AC right now. I just want to make sure gas mileage wise that I'm not driving around with it on needlessly. So light on - AC on, light off - AC off?

Another question, for some things my local MB dealer seems in the ballpark price wise for some parts. I've compared with ordering via Ebay and shipping to Canada always seems to kill the deal. So far I've purchased and installed one trunk strut (yes, hit in the back of the head twice) and center caps for the AMG rear wheels. Any other thoughts on parts options? It's been debadged on the rear trunk deck, I'd like to put the SLK230 and AMG back on. Most of the places I've looked at online don't seem to sell both and I want to ensure the sizes are the same so would prefer to buy from the same seller. I'll do some more research in this forum, but the other thing I'd like to do sooner rather than later is remove the instrumentation bezel to repaint. (Above the steering wheel, that covers the speedometer cluster) I'm looking for instructions on removal. I've already reviewed lots of options for removing the latex paint. Also, anyone ordered one of the aftermarket plexiglass wind screens available online?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I love the car so far.

Regards,
Jay

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,118 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator
14,077 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome!

Have a look at the different sections of the forum, your questions will be answered there.

I haven't had mine for very long, but no light normally always indicates that it's off, whereas light means on (on the A/C that is). Also, I'm guessing that the dealership will always be (a lot) more expensive than Ebay or similar sellers or a universal garage when it comes to maintenance. Parts may not even be a lot more expensive, but I reckon the price per hour is much higher there.

Just remember, you didn't buy a very economically sound car, you bought a way of life. Getting into adapting it to your exact liking is going to drain funds and so is running it. Once the top is down, you'll forget about it quickly :).

Basically, it's like having a second wife (did I say that out loud?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Jay, EC with light on means economy, then ac compressor desingaged, just the air flow with forced ventilation, EC with light off is normal function, AC on, with compressor working and cold air. If you adjust the rotating button to the white area, the air flow will be ambient temp but the compressor will keep engaged, expending more gas. Ac compressor, not the kompressor of the motor.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
350 Posts
welcome to the forum.
light on is a/c off.
light off is a/c on.
silly way round but there you go. (if light breaks how will you know?):nerd:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts