Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a newbie on here but am very frustrated. My SLK was working just fine yesterday but today it won't start. All dash lights work, radio works, lights work etc etc all power works, including windows, but when I turn the key nothing happens, engine won't crank. I don't get any error codes, nothing. I do hear an audible click in the engine compartment when I turn the key and then...nothing. Battery voltage is good at 12.7, battery in FOB is fine. It rained heavily last night and the car was under the carport (moisture problem?). I have not had any problems with this car and I bought it in December of 2009. Love the car! Can anybody help?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,199 Posts
try a new battery? jump it? readings are misleading

Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member #12/Moderator

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
746 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but welcome aboard. I am sure you will get great help from experienced members.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used search

I did indeed use the search mechanism on this website. This is why I posted my message. I did not find anything that remotely resembled my problem. I posted my question in the new forum and this forum hoping to find the help I needed. I perused the internet trying to find the answers but to no avail nothing was there. I am new to this world of Mercedes problems and was hoping to find help. Thank you I do appreciate your direction.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member #12/Moderator[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan..... Hope you resolve the start issue!!!!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. Sorry to here about your problems.

1).Have you tried putting your headlights on, then trying to start the engine - if the headlights dim significantly, then this indicates that the starter motor is jammed and will need attention.

2).Check the battery connections. Remove both the +ve and -ve cables, and give both the cable connectors and the battery terminals a good clean. If they are in a corroded condition, they can still allow enough current to flow to power low current draw items, but will not let enough current flow to start the engine. Also check where the battery negative cable joins the body.

3) Check the main 'engine to body' earth for tightness and corrosion.

Try the above, then report back

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,445 Posts
Have to agree with Wolly all the electrical problems i had on my Mb was the cable from the motor to the Body old worn out grease and corrosion. For some reason alot of people overlook that part. Hope you get your problem ttaken care of soon. Also have you checked the Amps on the Battery itself if 1 cell in the Battery is dead the car will not start.

Reactions: kettlenutz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update, this thread carried on over at DANSSLK page.After pulling the car from the stealership,they said both the battery and starter motor were bad, both units were fine after independant testing. After much searching here I read a post where someone had a dark film on the inside of the battery cable terminals, sure enough that's what I saw, but no typical corrosion. I cleaned them, nice and shiny, put back on, and the car fired straight up. Wonderful. Thanks to all those that welcomed us and offered tips. I hope that this might help others in the future.

·
Registered
659 Posts
um... did you READ my post (#5 in the other thread)???

it's usually the simple things everyone overlooks.

Glad you got it running. Now, get some battery anti-corrosion pads so it doesn't happen again.

Reactions: kettlenutz

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had the same problem you described and changing the battery has fixed it for now. If the dash lights work and turning the key produces loud clicks I think a good assumption is that the starter is not getting enough power from the battery.

My problems started with the BAS/ESP light coming on. A search here revealed that insufficient power from the battery might be the cause. I checked the voltage and it was fine at 12.9V. I was away from home for 2weeks and when I came back the car didn't start. The lights worked but turning the key produced only loud clicks. I bought the car used and since I can only guess the age of the battery I decide it will be a good idea to replace it anyway. When I removed the old battery I noticed some fluid in the battery bay which once more suggested a faulty battery. When I put the new battery in the car started and as soon as I drove off the BAS warning light went out. It's been working well for 2 days now but I'm gonna take it easy for the next few weeks just to make sure that there's nothing else wrong with the electrical system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1999 SLK 230 won't start Reply to Thread

Welcome from Michigan..... Hope you resolve the start issue!!!!
Yes....I HAVE THE SAME CAR....AND EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. Mine has always started with no sluggishness....then all of a sudden no start...dash lights and voltage all good?????

Anyone with any ideas????

Linda Metzger

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Yes....I HAVE THE SAME CAR....AND EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. Mine has always started with no sluggishness....then all of a sudden no start...dash lights and voltage all good?????

Anyone with any ideas????

Linda Metzger
How old is the battery?
When was the last time you cleaned the cables?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I'm a newbie on here but am very frustrated. My SLK was working just fine yesterday but today it won't start. All dash lights work, radio works, lights work etc etc all power works, including windows, but when I turn the key nothing happens, engine won't crank. I don't get any error codes, nothing. I do hear an audible click in the engine compartment when I turn the key and then...nothing. Battery voltage is good at 12.7, battery in FOB is fine. It rained heavily last night and the car was under the carport (moisture problem?). I have not had any problems with this car and I bought it in December of 2009. Love the car! Can anybody help?
* Hello I am also NEW.... I owned the very same car and am had the very same problem yesterday evening. My mechanic asked me to take another key and try to start it. he said sometimes the actual key goes bad??? Also the bad news is he said if it is the anti-theft mechanism...that would cost about a thousand dollars!!!! UGH ....Linda Metzger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.