Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1999 slk 230 which has sat for a few years and when I went to start it you could tell immediately there was something wrong. It ran fine in idle but the minute I pressed the gas it spit and sputtered then it stalled. I have changed the fuel, fuel filter, MAF, air filter, took out and cleaned all the fuel injectors, and checked the throttle body. For a minute it seemed to run good after the fuel injectors were reinstalled but then went back to the same old thing. I am out of ideas on what it could be.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
615 Posts
It would be a good idea to get your car scanned for error codes. If you're thinking of keeping the car, then buying a code reader is a good investment. Find out if you have an OBDII socket (the 'new' system) under the steering wheel or a round connection in the relay box next to the battery (old system). All code readers will read OBDII (to some extent or another. Not all will read the old system. I hear good reports of Autel (better than Carsoft). Or you could splash out for SDS which is the best.

It's also a good idea to search the site. I find the best way is to put this into your search engine: site:slkworld.com R170 (then the words you're searching for).

If you don't want to buy a code reader then consider getting codes read by a good independent Mercedes repairer, or a dealer (if you can get it there). It's often cheaper than buying parts randomly.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,192 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Post an introduction. It is like starting a conversation by saying 'Hello'.
Wondering what to say?
Look at other members introductions. Some are detailed, others are short.

Then claim your free gift!

FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.

FREE!! How to get a free datacard!

Thank you
Jeff
Administrator/Founding Member

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I h
It would be a good idea to get your car scanned for error codes. If you're thinking of keeping the car, then buying a code reader is a good investment. Find out if you have an OBDII socket (the 'new' system) under the steering wheel or a round connection in the relay box next to the battery (old system). All code readers will read OBDII (to some extent or another. Not all will read the old system. I hear good reports of Autel (better than Carsoft). Or you could splash out for SDS which is the best.

It's also a good idea to search the site. I find the best way is to put this into your search engine: site:slkworld.com R170 (then the words you're searching for).

If you don't want to buy a code reader then consider getting codes read by a good independent Mercedes repairer, or a dealer (if you can get it there). It's often cheaper than buying parts randomly.
I

I actually do have a code reader and the codes I got were for engine misfires and an extreme engine misfire in cylinder four. Since then I have changed the spark plugs and checked for vacuum leaks my next task is to check the ignition coils but I’m still very lost on what the definite problem is.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts

Don't suppose you've got rank fuel in tank will give rough running and splatter trying to get fuel into system causing that symptoms fuel pump could be blocked up often a car or bike will need fresh fuel as it can gum up after some time sitting idol the Good luck

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,426 Posts
Some things with good idle and no power:

1. clogged catalytic converters
2. low fuel pressure (clogged fuel filter?)
3. poor quality gas
4. very bad or tainted spark plugs
5. MAF - running rich or lean

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
615 Posts
Reminder - OP is reporting engine codes indicating misfire on cylinder 4. Most of the suggestions above would affect all cylinders equally wouldn't they? He says he has replaced spark plugs.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,426 Posts
Reminder - OP is reporting engine codes indicating misfire on cylinder 4. Most of the suggestions above would affect all cylinders equally wouldn't they? He says he has replaced spark plugs.
I think just 1 cylinder missing would cause it to idle pretty bad.??

he could pull the connector on the fuel injector while it's running to see if it runs any different.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts
Pulling the K40 and checking/reflowing the solders on the fuel relay wouldn't hurt ..

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Yes I argree, and check closely to the points on the relay as they can look black or burnt emery cloth clean between the points and any blackness you can see oh and if you can replace the small spring that attached to the points plate all will become clear 20/30mins spent there would save you hundreds at a garage who knows what the re doing otherwise is an easy DIY job. Slk98

1 - 11 of 11 Posts