Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 SLK230 (60,000 miles) engine kept shutting down with no notification in the dash. The codes that came up were different each time it did it. It was re-set many times and I tried all sorts of solutions (for example changing the MAF sensor and the thermostat) to resolve the problem; all to no avail. I read the article about the solder joints on the K40 relay board and decided to re-solder the dry joints but before I did that I pulled apart and re-connected all the plugs and sockets in the main wiring box to check for any corrosion on the terminals and hey presto! the car started. I did the re-soldering as well; just to be sure.

My conclusion: it might not have been the fault of the K40 relay board, so before any re-soldering try the simple option as described. Much cheaper than changing expensive components.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
It may seem like witchcraft, but unplugging and reconnecting a plug and socket will break little patches of oxidation that form over time - particularly in damp conditions - and this can cure all sorts of gremlins. Also the movement can realign the pins on the connectors making better contact afterwards.

Sent from my phone when my back was turned.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,490 Posts
Our electrical folk sometimes suggest using a glass fibre pen to clean off oxidation.

You may have experienced similar with phones and pc's.
When the first two things you are asked to do is switch off and unplug/replug.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,759 Posts
Our electrical folk sometimes suggest using a glass fibre pen to clean off oxidation.
(y) That's usually my advice. But with the connectors on the SLK's various computers it's sometimes hard to get the pen in amongst the pins. In this case, the next best thing is a toothpick and/or a wooden coffee stirrer, maybe with some electrical contact cleaner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts