Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a R170 stuck in limp mode had the codes pulled
013 Speed Sensor N3 Y3/611
09 Speed Sensor N3 Y3/611

65 Control Module N15 /3
161 Control Module N15 /3.

All the research I have done points to the plate and 13 pin connector, I have searched the forums and it seems to be the solution.

I was wondering where is a good place to get the parts from for a fair price.
I am looking at this one and also was wondering what others have used.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-722-6-comprehensive-transmission-service-kit

@Mn car guy
@efair
@stu32
@savcom
@Turdo2

Bob
1998 SLK 230
114k automatic

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,192 Posts
I have a R170 stuck in limp mode had the codes pulled
013 Speed Sensor N3 Y3/611
09 Speed Sensor N3 Y3/611

65 Control Module N15 /3
161 Control Module N15 /3.

All the research I have done points to the plate and 13 pin connector, I have searched the forums and it seems to be the solution.

I was wondering where is a good place to get the parts from for a fair price.
I am looking at this one and also was wondering what others have used.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mercedes-722-6-comprehensive-transmission-service-kit

@Mn car guy
@efair
@stu32
@savcom
@Turdo2

Bob
1998 SLK 230
114k automatic
114K and no transmission fluid change? If your dipstick cover is black plastic then the odds are the fluid has not been changed at all. That kit looks fine. It's not worth getting a cheap kit - you'll end up having to do the job again in 20,000 miles or so. The kit you show is not a bad price and providing you can get the car on a ramp - or better still a full car lift - then it's not too difficult a job to do. Also, check the transmission fluid isn't wicking along the cable and interfering with the transmission control unit too. You can check this by looking behind the metal panel in the passenger footwell and making sure the cables to N15 are bone dry. If the fluid has got into the controller you can disconnect it, open it and clean it out. You should be ok, but these have been known to failas a result of fluid ingress. Don't use brake cleaner on the cable, TCU or plug if you do find it is wicking because brake cleaner will soften the insulation on the cables and could dissolve the case of the TCU. Use a proper electrical contact cleaner instead and drain the dirty fluid away thoroughly before re-assembling it.

You should also get a dipstick for the fluid so you know when you've added enough when you refill as overfilling the box will not help you!!

Hope this helps - and you get it all sorted.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts
fyi Savcom is in the UK :D

·
3,192 Posts
That does help a lot, is there a part or list vendor you would recommend? I really only want to do this as few times as possible.

Thanks
Bob
That kit has all you need - and the dipstick link I sent you is also from the same company. Providing the parts are OEM that should be good enough.

There's a walk-through of what you need to do on PelicanParts. You may need to look up how to change the plate in addition to this..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I odered the kit, I am looking forward to learning all about this car. After tranny is fixed I will look at performance mods.
Bob

·
98,268 Posts
I odered the kit, I am looking forward to learning all about this car. After tranny is fixed I will look at performance mods.
Bob
not a lot of performance mods for your 230
pulley is probably the only one

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
I buy a lot from FCP, they're good.

Right kit, but as noted a failed TCU might need replacement if it's spoiled by a wicking pilot bushing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi
I have the same issue with my car. I cleaned the connector a few days ago but it was not right. had the codes checked and cleared at the local garage today and the car was good for a short time. I think the codes have come back. One code I had which you dont mention is P0715. I think its telling my that the conductor plate has reached its end of life.
Im going to find a suitably priced kit to change the plate and change the sensors at the same time.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
Hi
I have the same issue with my car. I cleaned the connector a few days ago but it was not right. had the codes checked and cleared at the local garage today and the car was good for a short time. I think the codes have come back. One code I had which you dont mention is P0715. I think its telling my that the conductor plate has reached its end of life.
Im going to find a suitably priced kit to change the plate and change the sensors at the same time.
P0715 was my issue. conductor plate was replaced, codes cleared and all has been well after about 100 miles.

·
3,192 Posts
Hi
It's not hard to put together a kit from different suppliers to be honest - just make sure the parts are OEM Cheap pilot bushings have a habit of failing before they're due and that's really a poor economy. I was lucky in that we had the use of a garage with a full car lift and proper cleaning facilities so we were able to get every part of the sump pan cleaned out. One other thing - you may find a magnet fitted in the sump. Clean that off if it has any swarf on it (if you've none then very happy days!!!)

Looks like you can ship the kit from eBay UK, so I see.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the kit and now need to get the car in the air and drop the pan. After I pull the valve body is there a need to disassemble it and clean it thoroughly or just cleanup the solenoids and replace the controller board. I really only want to do this as few times as possible.

Getting excited about getting my baby on the road.

Bob

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
Just have a clean work table to work on... You can't really disassemble the valve body other than removing the CP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SLK230 repair continues

I broke down and took the car to a local mechanic to have the conductor plate installed.
He called and said fluid was really dirty and that the TCU also should be replaced as the plate didn't fix the issue.
Lucky for me he happen to have a couple TCU units in his shop.
I am hoping this will fix the transmission limp mode issue and I can get to enjoy the car.

Bob

·
98,268 Posts
Then you can attend our next meet in April!

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
I broke down and took the car to a local mechanic to have the conductor plate installed.
He called and said fluid was really dirty and that the TCU also should be replaced as the plate didn't fix the issue.
Lucky for me he happen to have a couple TCU units in his shop.
I am hoping this will fix the transmission limp mode issue and I can get to enjoy the car.

Bob
did he happen to try those other ones to see if they fixed the problem???

1 - 20 of 34 Posts