Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've done stack of searching and research after I got the *dreaded flat battery*,

however I would like some help with either resetting the code (as the Merc dealership said I had to call a third party company and that it would cost 150$ AUD for the tools to remove it and get the serial number - then a further 150$ AUD to pay the third party involved to get the pin number to reset the Stereo)

300$ AUD all up and considering it's ancient I thought I would simply re-instal the sound system from the Saab, which I did myself. That was a right pain but the system in the Merc is a bit more difficult than that.

Do single dins fit?

Or should I shell out the shekels and pay for it?

I know I can install the head unit but not sure about the flat subwoofer.

Any ideas?

(And yes I have searched the threads.)

Michael

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do what stereo do you have?

I just replaced my regular Audio 10 (on a -97 SLK) with a Alpine aftermarket system, and it was a real plug and play operation. The Audio 10 comes loose with removal keys that costs $4 of ebay or your local store. The slot is "single DIN" and the Alpine slid right in.

The car wiring conforms to the ISO standard, and the Alpine was supplied with an ISO harness so I just plugged it in. Worked right out of the box with all six speakers in my car. I have not bothered with a separate sub-woofer yet.

I did need an adapter for the FM antenna though, but again, less than $5 at my local car parts store. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The $150 you were quoted must be including the hourly rate from the shop. Removal of the stereo is a five minute work once you have the tools, and then you can read the serial number on the underside of the device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The $150 you were quoted must be including the hourly rate from the shop. Removal of the stereo is a five minute work once you have the tools, and then you can read the serial number on the underside of the device.
I was told something similar,but I just don't think the rip off prices for something so simple could be so difficult to achieve.

Thanks you for your advice.

Warm regards,

Michael

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,233 Posts
From Gene,

In the US if you call and register as a Mercedes owner with the company then there is a set of services that they provide - one of which is responding with codes and things, unlocking doors, I think, etc.

Here's the US version, and I would expect that there is a UK equivalent.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owners/owners_online

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys,

I've done stack of searching and research after I got the *dreaded flat battery*,

however I would like some help with either resetting the code (as the Merc dealership said I had to call a third party company and that it would cost 150$ AUD for the tools to remove it and get the serial number - then a further 150$ AUD to pay the third party involved to get the pin number to reset the Stereo)

300$ AUD all up and considering it's ancient I thought I would simply re-instal the sound system from the Saab, which I did myself. That was a right pain but the system in the Merc is a bit more difficult than that.

Do single dins fit?

Or should I shell out the shekels and pay for it?

I know I can install the head unit but not sure about the flat subwoofer.

Any ideas?

(And yes I have searched the threads.)

Michael
The tools can be had on E-Bay cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-C-E-S-SL-SLK-CL-CLK-ML-CD-RADIO-STEREO-REMOVAL-TOOL-KEY-DIY-/271247864038?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f27a1f0e6&vxp=mtr
Or search for "Mercedes Radio Removal Tool"

Dan M.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Nice thing about the R170 is that it has no wheel controls nor external displays, so you do not lose fiunctionality when you change the head unit.
You may wish to review what the original MB unit does provide for you (inc CD changer?) and then spec the replacement head unit to give you this and any other goodies you find useful.
For me, the use of a 8 GBP 16 GB nano USB memory stick allows me to have loads of music in the car in a format that does not jump on the pot-hole-ridden UK roads. (Some feel the quality is not good enough using compressed music, but in an open-top, I have yet to experience such an environment where I care about that level of detail)
It's nice if you can find a head unit that provides the colour and style to support the mildly retro effect of the dashboard; your tastes may differ.
Happy head-hunting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.