Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is 1997 R170, just bought for a year, i found that the fuel consumption is quite high, for 100km it used up almost 1/3 tank of fuel...is it normal ?

Moreover, i also found that the engine seems powerless...i don't know why..
I have used computer to check and there is a failure code - P0803.. is this code related to the problem of the engine ? and can anyone advise how to solve the problem ?

Many thanks !!!

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
P0803 1 – 4 Upshift (Skip Shift) Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

This is what I've read on the subject:
Your bypassing it because the connection to the solenoids is out and you have an open circuit.
That is what is throwing the engine code. The way a skipshift bypass works is by putting a resistor
in the circuit. When the computer tries to activate the solenoids to lock out gears 2 and 3 it looks
for a voltage on that circuit to tell it that they are working properly. That resistor provides the
voltage drop but does not have enough power going to the solenoids for them to actually lock the gears out.
(or some bypasses disconnect the solenoids all together, but still works because the computer sees the
voltage drop across the resistor) Right now with it burned out you have an open circuit and it is not
seeing the drop, Thus your engine light.

I have no idea how to fix the issue though.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
I can't explain it, google explained it. I am only here to assist. Early on I was trying to diagnose any and everything. Then I realized that the people here who really DO know what they are talking about, were very polite to me. Somewhere in hidden cyberspace there is a thread called "slk320chick tries again.. so cute..but".

So, I have tried to adopt the Joe friday method of diagnosis. Only the facts Sir. Because I am positive anyone that knows about the issue will pipe up.

[secretly laughing to myself..cute right? lol]

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I would be checking the Cat Converter has not failed as that can cause the problems you mentioned.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P0803 1 – 4 Upshift (Skip Shift) Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

This is what I've read on the subject:
Your bypassing it because the connection to the solenoids is out and you have an open circuit.
That is what is throwing the engine code. The way a skipshift bypass works is by putting a resistor
in the circuit. When the computer tries to activate the solenoids to lock out gears 2 and 3 it looks
for a voltage on that circuit to tell it that they are working properly. That resistor provides the
voltage drop but does not have enough power going to the solenoids for them to actually lock the gears out.
(or some bypasses disconnect the solenoids all together, but still works because the computer sees the
voltage drop across the resistor) Right now with it burned out you have an open circuit and it is not
seeing the drop, Thus your engine light.

I have no idea how to fix the issue though.
Very appreciated for your information provided, i will look into more on this subject. By the way, do u have any idea on how to lower the fuel consumption ? coz i already shifted the gear to below 2,000RPM and try not to push it hard...pls advise if you have any idea. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Theres a few ways to test the cat but an easy way is to use a Inver red thermometer to check the temp before the cat and the temp after the cat. Run the engine to operating temp then get someone to keep it at 2000/2500 rpms take the temp's if it's good then outlet side should be much higher than the inlet side. If it's not it's plugging up.

Low power bad gas mileage..

Hope this helps..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.