Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I have had SL wheels on mine and I'm currently waiting for my insurance to renew to fit the BBS CI-Rs I have stacked in the garage. The SLs needed 10mm spacers at the rear and I was never happy because I always thought there was a slight vibration at about 60mph.

8.5" is plenty wide for the rears, 9" at a pinch. 9.5" or bigger really need a low offset. BBS recommend ET25 for a 9.5" although I was effectively running ET37 with 255/30/19s and they didn't rub.

Also, be aware that the ride is very harsh on such ultra-low-profile tyres.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I agree tyres are very important for rubbing and you also have to factor in brake clearances etc. The tyre calculator reckoned that ET47 would be fine with a 255/30/R19 and it just about cleared the inside wheel arch but the wheel design itself meant it hit the brake calipers which was something we had never thought would be a problem as we assumed (always a TERRIBLE idea) the hubs and brakes would be the same, yet they touched. So calculators are great, and it's only with the test fit you see whether the theory matches the practice.

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Why? Is this just seeking the pose factor at the expense of comfort? Surely !8" are big enough
Why not? But as it happens the 18" AMG wheel weighs 9.7kg at the front and 10.9kg at the rear. My new 8.5 x 19" CI-Rs weigh 7.5kg all round and that's a massive improvement in unsprung weight. Plus they look fantastic.

The ride is harsh, but it is slightly ameliorated by the Brabus variable rate springs that I have fitted which are very soft initially then REALLY hard at the end of their travel. So small road imperfections are fine while big potholes WILL hurt.

As a final plus, the same 8.5 x 19" wheels also fit my allroad so when the SLKs go back, I can still use them.:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not? But as it happens the 18" AMG wheel weighs 9.7kg at the front and 10.9kg at the rear. My new 8.5 x 19" CI-Rs weigh 7.5kg all round and that's a massive improvement in unsprung weight. Plus they look fantastic.

The ride is harsh, but it is slightly ameliorated by the Brabus variable rate springs that I have fitted which are very soft initially then REALLY hard at the end of their travel. So small road imperfections are fine while big potholes WILL hurt.

As a final plus, the same 8.5 x 19" wheels also fit my allroad so when the SLKs go back, I can still use them.:)
Any photos?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've got them fitted F 19x8.5 et35 fitted with 235/35/19 and R 19x9.5 et35 Fitted with 265/30/19 all fit well no rubbing etc ride seems about the same I'll post pics when I can. Thanks to all who helped you know who you are?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I've got them fitted F 19x8.5 et35 fitted with 235/35/19 and R 19x9.5 et35 Fitted with 265/30/19 all fit well no rubbing etc ride seems about the same I'll post pics when I can. Thanks to all who helped you know who you are?
Hello,

I am glad I saw your post, I just got the same size of wheels

Got Renn Motorsports RS-51 wheels;

F - 19x8.5 ET35
R - 19x9.5 ET35

I have not purchased the tires yet because I wanted to see if the wheels fit first.

So, I mounted the wheels only in one side of my 07 SLK55 AMG, the wheels clears the the front and rear brake calipers fine but the front wheel inner edge is VERY close to the strut, it is about 6 mm of space between the edge of the wheel and strut body right where have an indent at the strut outer pipe.

I can't see how it will fit there with a tire mounted...any ideas? Is that because I have the vehicle up in the air? will that change when tire touch the ground?

I purchased the wheels at Sonic Tuning, they said they would take the wheels back if does not fit (They assured me 100% that would fit).... but I am affraid to order the tires to find out it will not fit and stuck with 19" tires.

Any ideas?

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The clearance shouldn't change, if you ask your tyre dealer for a tyre size to fit that rim and explain you don't want the tyre to exceed the width of the rim you should be ok

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, I was doing some research about that myself, hard to find any tire dealer around here that actually know anything.

I am thinking in go with a 7 or 10mm spacer, I was doing some measuraments and the wheel edge will still be inside the fender.

As for tires, thinking in go with

Continental DWS06 235/35R19 91Y XL
Continental DWS06 265/30R19 93Y XL

Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.