Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just thought I would post my 18" wheel upgrade information as I did a lot of reading on this forum before I went ahead.

So wanted to up grade from std 16" to 18" but did not like the most merc wheels or could not afford the AMG one's I did like.

So being a 55 year old boy racer ( well in my head) went to the aftermarket world. I wanted some deep dish style wheels.

After a month I found these wheels for sale off a CLS500,they were originally sold in the UK by Wolfrace Wheels under the name Shark but are actually Ruff racing wheels, brought this set via ebay and I assumed they were polished alloy but the outer rim is a stainless steel bonded on trim.

They are 8.5 and 9.5 ET35 x 18 rims which the forum said would fit.
They do fit but not with out some minor issues, had to change the tyres to 225/40/18 front ( contacts 5) and the rear to 255/35/18 ( also contacts)

The first issue is I needed 60 degree wheel bolts as Merc one are raidus ones and will not fit, I used 25mm long bolts for these wheels, original bolt hole are for 14mm bolts but I use M12 bolts but again checked on forum and that said it was OK as long as the wheel bolt fills the full tappered hole, which they do.

On first fitting rears all OK clearance all round JUST

Fitting the fronts they locked up on the tyre against the strut leg, this because the Contact 5 have a rim protector moulded on the tyre and it sticks out a few mm, so dug out a old set of 3mm spacers, problem cured with no issues on full lock, with different tyre you may not have this issue.

The wheel centres on the rear were OK but the front would not fit due the the grease cap coming through the wheel centre.
So after a dig through my steel stock box of old off cuts found some 66mm tube which I cut off 2 x 7mm rings, which I painted silver and bonded in to the wheel and then fitted the centre cap over that.

So bit of mucking about but OK, so the thanks to the forums for all the info which proved to be all good and big 18" will fit on a 200K

·
Air Suspension Manager
631 Posts
They look really nice.
We want more pictures with more light :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that will be a camera phone and grey British weather I will wait until the sun comes out so that could be some time. LOL

yes added a Wow factor to the look of the car, standard wheels are not great.

Car is lowered by 30mm too.

Make's getting a jack under it a pain.

I need to leave it alone now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

Thanks for the positive comments, yes well pleased now added some stick on 3D wheel centres that finish the job ( not flat printed ones)

Sun came out so some more photos still a camera phone though.

You can now see the lowered stance better.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice bit of DIY. Great result. As above, I also like the deep dish look - makes the car appear much fatter (or is that phatter for boy racers?) Nice aggressive look with the lowered suspension.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I used these wheels on one of my SLs - two things you might want to consider: fitting ceramic pads as the black dust gathering around the imitation rim bolts is a pig to clean, and Shark supply domed wheel caps that might look more the part than making them up. Not expensive iirc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
contact details

Hi Hal

do you have any contact details on the wheel center suppliers still, as I cant find anything about them.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Now you are taxing my memory!

But a stroke of luck - I googled Wolfrace wheels to see if any supplier names jogged my memory, and lo and behold in the images was a photo of my old SL with the wheels fitted showing the supplier in the accompanying thread! So try here:

Wolfrace Shark Black Alloy Wheels | Wolfrace Shark Black Alloys

They were certainly helpful at the time. Of course, you could always contact Wolfrace Wheels direct and see what they have, as the Shark wheel is one of their old designs (better than their new ones, imo...) that they now confine to trade sales.

I had a sneaking feeling that when I sold the wheels, I held onto the caps for some reason. I just had a quick look, but cannot find them. I will hunt again when the light is better and let you know if I do find them.

As for the pads, two makes I have tried are Akebono and EBC Redstuff. Akebono are really good, but for some odd reason hard to come by in the UK. I brought mine in from the States until the customs nabbed me on one loty for unreasonable duty (I think that godam Blair needed money to fight one of these ridiculous wars at the time!) So I moved to EBC Redstuff which I found perfectly good - and, as I say a must for those little bolt heads. Believe me there is nothing worse that split rims or imitation split rims where black dust has gathered around them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts