Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought an SLK with after market wheels and would like to return to a more standard spec. I just wondered whether I could fit 171 wheels if I can pick up a set for reasonable money - just extends my search criteria a bit...

Cheers

Andrew

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like Mercedes offer much the same wheels for both models, so it looks like they'll fit OK. Will learn to search more effectively...

Just out of interest, has anyone done this? I'd be interested in any pics.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
the members that have will reply when they check in :D

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
Having had both as long as the 171 wheels have 12mm lug bolts and not 14 (late 171) I see no reason why they wouldn't (170 wheels will not clear the front calipers on a 171 though). Had Crossie 18" and 19" wheels on my 170 for a while but ride was just too harsh.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
This link show SLK wheels for R170 from page 34 to 39.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com.cn/content/media_library/china/mpc_china/SERVICES/Accessories_Collection/Collection_Brochure_Folder/Light-alloy_Wheels_Out-of-production.object-Single-MEDIA.tmp/Light-alloyWheelsOut-of-production.pdf

It shows which were staggered sets and if they were suitable fo SLK32 or not ( must be big enough to clear brakes) and suitable for snow chains ( not too wide).

There is a big range here.

Many are still availble new.

There was a post a couple of days ago with an excellent link for OEM rims.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Here the link for a rim supplier

Mercedes SLK Class Alloys (R170) - Alloy Wheels Direct

Pretty amazing list of what is available, and also what is not.

£900+ per set is not cheap but these cars have been out of production for 14 years, so any supply is remarkable.

The price I got from my local M-B dealer for SLK320 rims was a lot better than this and no postage too!

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
Not really surprising, both Mercedes and Chrysler were using the 12mm 5x112 bolt pattern for many years on many cars & probably some wheels have dual bolt patterns (is the final machining step - some suppliers may wait for orders). Is why some wheels may have 80mm centers and offsets that are a bit further out than stock.

As mentioned the key with some Mercedes is to clear the calipers without decreasing the offset. Many Mercedes wheels have the back side of the spokes arched to clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks for the responses. Interesting to see the wide range of wheels still listed by Mercedes, but I can't afford £900+... Will keep an eye out for wheels on ebay etc. and see what turns up. You never know, I may even warm to the wheels that are on the car. Next question is around recommended tyres, so I'll search the boards as I can imagine it has been heavily discussed...

Thanks again

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts