Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I've read a lot about the smart top and wondering if anyone has one for sale in the UK or further afield . I'm struggling to find one that's in good used condition.. Cheers Gary

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
I was going to say that if you can't find a used one available anywhere, then to check out the SmartTop link in my signature for details of PPCGB, which is where I bought my SmartTop from in the UK.

However, I see that the price of SmartTop has increased significantly there since buying mine... I guess the £ is much weaker against the $ since I bought mine. :(

Any used units are likely to sell very quickly though, especially if they're priced right..

·
Premium Member
5,517 Posts
Brought mine last year from PPCGB for £240.54 and I now see that for the R171 the price has increased to £336.60. As they are imported from the US the weaker £ must be impacting on the prices here in the UK. Even at this price it is a must have option IMHO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I first heard about the Smart Top I thought what is all the fuss about, it's no big deal stopping and holding the switch for 22 seconds.
But after reading so much positivity about it on here and seeing how easy it looks to fit, and most of all what a cool upgrade it is I thought I can't wait any longer and must get one.
So I just orderd one and I will fit it myself to my R171 :grin:

I looked on mods4cars online shop, popped in car details and made the purchase for £266.76 including VAT with free postage :grin:

Designed for SLK (R171), CLK (A209) and SL (R230)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fitted the Smart Top today ( i posted a link a couple of posts ago), all working, small rear windows are set to go up at 10mph. The roof will retract below 30mph. Remote windows and roof also work, tried it in the supermarket car park :) Still need to set it up exactly how i want it, but it's time for a well earned glass of red.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Fitted the Smart Top today ( i posted a link a couple of posts ago), all working, small rear windows are set to go up at 10mph. The roof will retract below 30mph. Remote windows and roof also work, tried it in the supermarket car park :) Still need to set it up exactly how i want it, but it's time for a well earned glass of red.

Hi Gary.
I see from the link you posted that this isn't a 'real' Smart Top but seems to do the same job at half the price :smile: Did you fit it yourself and was it easy?
Could you post what was needed to install this and do they provide English instructions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,684 Posts
True not a SmartTop ( registered trademark) :D

better call it something else before you get sued :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The "Clever Top" :), was easy to fit, usual stripping back the kick plate etc. Located the roof wire from the can bus, plugged that into the wires provided, plugged the wire provided into the space vacated on the can bus block. Crimped into a constant live (my friendly mechanic found this for me) also crimped into an earthwire (mechanic did this too).
The programming is done via the dash screen. Turn the radio off, when it comes up audio off, hold the cancel call button on the steering wheel for 3 seconds this then lets you into the various menus for the unit, set speed etc.
The instructions are really clear and in English, although it they did say to connect to any red wire for the live, this never worked hence the visit to the friendly mechanic. After fitting, it through up an SRS warning. That was cleared by the mechanic with no further issues.
I have not seen a smart top working but the Clever Top seems to do everything it does, so quite a saving i think.
I needed a size 20 torx bit, small flat screw driver and pliers for the crimping. If i had found a constant live first time i would not have needed the mechanic. He a friend so never cost me. Although when he fits my springs at the weekend that will cost :)
The Smart Top threads on here were a massive help too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is there a market for used R171 roof modules

Is there much call for used R171 VarioRoof Modules?

I bought the Piecha Comfort-Varioroof-module (Seems to do exactly the same tricks for the roof as the SmartTop) and it has worked flawlessly.
I love to plip the remote three times to put the roof up or down from 80-100m away, in addition to having roof operation at any speed up to 30mph.

I am debating uninstalling mine from the 2006 SLK350 I am planning to sell, but it will take 30+ minutes of finger wrenching work to do it, lifting that carpet up again.
I have all the instruction manuals etc, but I don't want to go through removing it if there is no demand for it in the UK.

I have already received the SmartTop module I bought for the 172 as I could not live without it after having the convenience of it for 12 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
There is demand (if the price is right :wink:)

What price were you thinking? :nerd:

I would love a "smart top", but price is un-realistic in my opinion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
There is demand (if the price is right :wink:)

What price were you thinking? :nerd:

I would love a "smart top", but price is un-realistic in my opinion.
Well, at least I now know I should get to removing it from the R171

The "real thing" brand new is £266 from Mods4Cars, so I will probably put a "for sale" post in the correct forum thread for £140 when I have removed it after work.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well, at least I now know I should get to removing it from the R171

The "real thing" brand new is £266 from Mods4Cars, so I will probably put a "for sale" post in the correct forum thread for £140 when I have removed it after work.
It'll sell almost instantly on here :grin:

I sat patiently watching the for sale section on here and eventually got one for our car.

I wouldn't be surprised if folk ask for first refusal if they happen to see this thread..:grin:

:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts