Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello found a nice of 2001 slk230 171 seats , will they fit in my 1999 170? Are they dimensionally the same? Look like they are only difference I can tell is these are power and mine are not. Thanks

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,804 Posts
Please read your private messages. I included my cell phone to assist you

·
92,804 Posts

·
92,804 Posts
I'm glad! don't forget to check out our Florida section and sign up for our April 9th meet at the winery

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
Hello found a nice of 2001 slk230 171 seats , will they fit in my 1999 170? Are they dimensionally the same? Look like they are only difference I can tell is these are power and mine are not. Thanks
2001 slk230 seats are r170 seats, the e171 started in 2004...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking at this as an alternative to recovering mine. If I can swap them, cheaper I'll do it that way.

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
Looking at doing the same. Can anyone tell me if theese chairs are electric or not? Previous owner installed them in a mazda. I am also interested in getting the Airscarf to function. What will it take for that?

Thankful for any info.
Tome
Those *are* actually R171 seats, unlike the seats that the original poster is talking about (assuming they are from a 2001). From your picture those seats are not electrically adjustable: the handle you pull to move the seat back and forth is shown protruding from the front of both seats.

·
Super Moderator - DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
Airscarf could be made to work, but it'll be fiddly

You could wire power to the fans and heating elements and just have one heat / speed setting, but they are supposed to be controlled by their own ECU, which modulates the fan speed and heat settings depending on a whole host of factors - speed, temperature, roof position, window position etc etc -

All of the data, and the airscarf switch position is fed into the heater ECU over the CAN network, and the ECU takes power for the heaters / blower directly from the front fuse box in a 171 (the one inside the car, not the front SAM). The heater ECU is also responsible for temperature control and timing so the seats don't overheat ....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you Sean.

I understand it will be fiddly & I'm happy with just the one heat/speed setting.
I bought the chairs & I need to know what more i have to purchase for wiring power to the new chairs.

Would be extremly grateful for any direction in my project :)

I attached a picture on the only cable connecting my previous seats.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator - DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
Function schematic attached for the R171

You're going to need heavy gauge wire to feed the heater pad and fans, some sort of switch and relay to turn it all on / off

Also attached is the seat heater wiring diagram, which includes the seat heaters and airscarf

Have fun!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts