Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the departure of my 350, I've been looking at a replacement.
I really liked the idea of a Boxster but all the rumours of fragile engines have rather put me off.
Audi TTS's look good but they always seem a bit like a Golf in drag...
Jaguar F type looks great but a bit too expensive and has a tiny boot (trunk) so no good for our touring holidays.
So, back to Mercedes.
An SLK 55 would fit the bill but I'm not sure if its worth spending the extra on a facelifted version, ie post 2008.

I'd be interested if anyone has had both versions and could give a comparison.
Also, how does pearlescent white sound - too much like a hairdresser?:)
Russ

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts
I had a 2005 slk 350 and now have a slk 55 amg 2009. Do i fit your requirement?

·
94,173 Posts
Well it is no contest to compare a 55 with a 350 so i will just say this. The look of the facelift from the bumper to the interior is worth it. Plus you get improved electronics/audio/paddle shifters.

you should download the 2008 and higher brochures so you can compare apples to apples.

your brochure:
http://www.ragtop.org/mbbrochures/index.html

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
Well it is no contest to compare a 55 with a 350 so i will just say this. The look of the facelift from the bumper to the interior is worth it. Plus you get improved electronics/audio/paddle shifters.

you should download the 2008 and higher brochures so you can compare apples to apples.

your brochure:
was your 350 a MT :biglaugh:

next step buy a MT don't down grade to a 55 :hb:

·
94,173 Posts
nope. that's why they call me leadfoot

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Russ - what happened to the '350?! Couple of thoughts - if I were doing it again right now, I'd look for a facelifted car simply to get the updated electronics. Looks wise I like the facelift, but not enough to trade up for no other reason.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I think (to me at least) there are 2 areas to consider (between face-lift and non-facelift R171 SLK55):

1. The updated NGT/COMAND in the face-lift model
2. The brake calipers

Personal opinion: I would get the facelift SLK55 with the P030 performance package. Pearlescent White or Mystic White is a good exterior colour.

·
94,173 Posts
Thank you. May I have another? That's the way to win friends and influence people

·
Registered
22 Posts
An SLK 55 would fit the bill but I'm not sure if its worth spending the extra on a facelifted version, ie post 2008.
Just started to learn about these models, didn't know there was a facelift version. I thought they all were the same till the most recent model/shape.

How would you tell between a pre/post lift 55AMG?

BTW, the Audi TTS is okay but tbh with you way over priced for what it is plus only if you like turbocharged cars. I personally don't and have the MK2 V6 model.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Just started to learn about these models, didn't know there was a facelift version. I thought they all were the same till the most recent model/shape.
Most manufacturers (European anyway ) work on a 7 year cycle with a 'facelift' in the middle of the run, then a couple of 'specials' (really, nothing 'special', just trying to dump the old stock before the new model comes out ).

On that premise, there should be an FL 172 out in 2014/5 and an R173 in about 2016 ish.

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,429 Posts
Interesting discussion, except for the 6spd MT 350, I would assume the 55 would win hands down, that was my impression and why I went with the 6spd.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Interesting discussion, except for the 6spd MT 350, I would assume the 55 would win hands down, that was my impression and why I went with the 6spd.
In a straight drag race, nothing will touch the 55AMG (although the 32AMG gets very close ). In 'real world' twisty road driving, there is not really a lot between all models of SLK (although not positive about the diesel ), but the MT's (200's, 230's 280/300's & 350's are remarkably agile and can put the 55's to shame - mostly due to weight balance & 'non psychic' (i.e. automatic :D ) transmission.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
pfffffft - "To Shame" might be a bit strong - but I'll be the first to agree that a '350MT will keep up with a '55 in the twisty bits - then it's down to the drivers! :)

In a straight drag race, nothing will touch the 55AMG (although the 32AMG gets very close ). In 'real world' twisty road driving, there is not really a lot between all models of SLK (although not positive about the diesel ), but the MT's (200's, 230's 280/300's & 350's are remarkably agile and can put the 55's to shame - mostly due to weight balance & 'non psychic' (i.e. automatic :D ) transmission.

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,682 Posts
I think all slk,s are a heck of a lot better than most of the motoring world give them credit for.

boxster ,z4 ect all about the same on the road, track maybe not.
A few on pistonheads have said, I didn't think a slk would go like that :biglaugh::biglaugh:R):flag: after a run out

·
Registered
390 Posts

your brochure:
What exactly did the facelift do for the interior? It looks identical to me except for the paddle shifters which Mercedes still got wrong. I really wish they had mounted the paddles in a fixed position on the column rather than making them spin with the steering wheel. Oh well, the shift lever takes care of that. The switchgear and the seats look the same. Same trim as far as I can tell. Did the 08 Nav system get a touch screen?

On the other hand, I wanted an 06 specifically for the brake package with 6 piston fixed calipers up front and 4 piston fixed calipers at the rear along with slotted, cross drilled, and ventilated rotors.

As for the front end, I like the pre-facelift front end and the back end looks identical to me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What exactly did the facelift do for the interior? It looks identical to me except for the paddle shifters which Mercedes still got wrong. I really wish they had mounted the paddles in a fixed position on the column rather than making them spin with the steering wheel. Oh well, the shift lever takes care of that. The switchgear and the seats look the same. Same trim as far as I can tell. Did the 08 Nav system get a touch screen?

On the other hand, I wanted an 06 specifically for the brake package with 6 piston fixed calipers up front and 4 piston fixed calipers at the rear along with slotted, cross drilled, and ventilated rotors.

As for the front end, I like the pre-facelift front end and the back end looks identical to me.
New steering wheel, new speedometers (red needles with sport package), black buttons instead of silver.

Also darkened headlights (with sport package) and arrow-shaped and bigger turn indicators.

·
Registered
390 Posts
New steering wheel, new speedometers (red needles with sport package), black buttons instead of silver.

Also darkened headlights (with sport package) and arrow-shaped and bigger turn indicators.
That's it? Wow, no wonder I can't notice a difference in photos. I'm happy I went with the pre-facelift 2006 SLK55 for the original nose and the brake package.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts