Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Normally, disconnecting the battery does a reboot of the cars systems (computers and is normally done when there are problems as it may cure the problem - in my book not a problem - do not know why osi wrote that hopefully they will give their reason.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hello again: Quick question...sorry for my ignorance but I wanted to know why disconnecting the battery is a bad idea? Just curious. thanks
Never suggested it was a bad idea or a problem! I just thought it a horrible chore of unclamping the battery and having to reset the windows, clock etc every time. I was only trying to help with a possible easier option. No guarantees it will work either and since nobody has endorsed my harebrained idea, possibly best to stick with plan A. Sorry for any confusion.

Maya ~ Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Disconnecting the battery is not that bad. For RHD vehicles undo 3 turn clips and remove the cover over the battery and then with a 10mm spanner disconnect the negative terminal. Synching the windows takes a minute and certainly on the red one the clock resets itself.

The effect of disconnecting the battery reboots the systems - similar to the IT techs favourite 'turn the computer off and then on again'.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Never suggested it was a bad idea or a problem! I just thought it a horrible chore of unclamping the battery and having to reset the windows, clock etc every time. I was only trying to help with a possible easier option. No guarantees it will work either and since nobody has endorsed my harebrained idea, possibly best to stick with plan A. Sorry for any confusion.

Maya ~ Tapatalk
Hello and I appreciate all feedback. All ideas are good :) Thank you so much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Disconnecting the battery is not that bad. For RHD vehicles undo 3 turn clips and remove the cover over the battery and then with a 10mm spanner disconnect the negative terminal. Synching the windows takes a minute and certainly on the red one the clock resets itself.

The effect of disconnecting the battery reboots the systems - similar to the IT techs favourite 'turn the computer off and then on again'.
Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just seeing this thread. Good advice above. Always know you can go elsewhere for a second opinion on a car issue whether or not you trust your primary mechanic. If it's your car, you do not have to obtain anyone's permission to do so.
As a female car owner I have dealt with many mechanics. My #1 rule: If I'm not comfortable I go elsewhere. That being said, most mechanics have been professional, accurate, fair and courteous. I've learned in the past several years how to do minor work on all my cars. You may want to do so as well. Reading through the information in this forum will help immensely. Before you say you're too old, I'm in my 60s and if I can do it anyone can. It is fun and I have learned enough to speak shop with people who admire that I took the time to educate myself. Best of luck on your shifting issue and let us know how it progresses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just seeing this thread. Good advice above. Always know you can go elsewhere for a second opinion on a car issue whether or not you trust your primary mechanic. If it's your car, you do not have to obtain anyone's permission to do so.
As a female car owner I have dealt with many mechanics. My #1 rule: If I'm not comfortable I go elsewhere. That being said, most mechanics have been professional, accurate, fair and courteous. I've learned in the past several years how to do minor work on all my cars. You may want to do so as well. Reading through the information in this forum will help immensely. Before you say you're too old, I'm in my 60s and if I can do it anyone can. It is fun and I have learned enough to speak shop with people who admire that I took the time to educate myself. Best of luck on your shifting issue and let us know how it progresses.
Good morning and thank you for your comforting message. You are not old by the way. I have been doing a bit of research and on the shifter issue and expect to have more info to share with all of you soon. Based on the little that I know about cars, I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable and think it is not extremely difficult. I will keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Separate part down inside the auto shifting mechanism. It is a part that can fail due to regular ware. Check this site and see if there is a DIY on it . It shouldn't be to expensive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hello again: Quick question...sorry for my ignorance but I wanted to know why disconnecting the battery is a bad idea? Just curious. thanks
Read through some other threads. One guy cant his top to go up after changing the battery. Why? Who knows, last post he's still working on it. How about b/f taking the cat to mechanic while you stay home?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Read through some other threads. One guy cant his top to go up after changing the battery. Why? Who knows, last post he's still working on it. How about b/f taking the cat to mechanic while you stay home?
Hi there and good morning: Not sure if the message from jpm995 was regarding my post and what part is the cat? Sorry for my ignorance..lol. The only thing I know about a cat is like a pet cat..lol! Sorry again for my ignorance. I will also ask JBanks15 also. Thanks for feedback and let me know.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts