Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I will be completing the first real set of body modifications to the slk. But now, I need to add things to the 2014 spring list. One of the very first things I saw when I first bought her, was how ugly the metal looked behind the wheels [the brakes]. Throughout reading the multiple threads, I remember seeing something about specialty brakes?

New rims are #1 on the list for the Spring 2014 project. But when I do the rims, I want to do the brakes as well. So take me to brake school.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends on how deep your pockets are... I put these on my Charger - $5,000. They perform exceptionally and look great.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They won't be anywhere near that.. but thank you for posting lol. I found 1k ea rims that I just about lost my mind for, but that's not going on the girl either. I have to be reasonable with a 2nd vehicle. I'm not cheap with her, but 5k seems a little extravagent for my taste packer lover ;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm planning on installing EBC rotors in the future. I don't know about changing the brake calipers. Probably not. I'm not a racer and the stopping power is good with my stock brakes. I might just repaint the stock ones into black color to match the car.
Take a look and see if you like these:
http://ebcrotors.com/p-224-ebc-ultimax-rotors.aspx
They have other styles too. =) Repainting calipers seems like a cost saving option :D

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really .. I need the basics. If all I'm looking to do is make them look good, which components are needed? I probably don't have to reinvent the wheel [nyuk nyuk nyuk]. For example brakes consist of what? pads shoes roters blah blah blah? But what would I change to make them look good :D Think CHICK.. with a little bit of functionality ;)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Chick... go to search, your friend, somewhere out there was a thread about painting your calipers (the part that actuates your pads, and red in the foto above) - it has to be high heat paint, you can put in contrasting/white lettering. Rotors are pretty much equal (price point wise) - are the 170 rotors cross drilled? (ie holes through them, swiss cheese style). Keeps them cooler.

Good luck with your rims - you want something different than OEM? If not, an alternative would be to have the OEM ones redone while it's hibernating...

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,422 Posts
Go with ceramic pads to stop all the black brake dust. You can paint the calipers and the rotors where the pads do not rub. Calipers paint red or silver or black is what most do and the rotors paint silver. You might want to replace the rotors with stock or an aftermarket that meets OE standards if they are worn down to near min requirement specs. Good luck in picking out new wheels.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If you decide to go with ceramic brake pads then you'll definitely need cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors. Otherwise they will be squeaky... I have this issue after I got ceramic brake pads. Yes, it's a lot less dust but one needs to have different rotors.
As for the brake calipers if you want them to look nice it's better and cheaper to repaint them. Aftermarket premium Brembos will cost you $$$$'...
I found a different set from CEika manufacturer. But it's also pricey... Front set will cost you at leas $850...
http://ceikaperformance.com/Small-6-pot-Big-Brake-kit-p29.html
Some find on the brake calipers:
http://www.buybrakes.com/p-681-nht-color-brake-calipers.aspx

Here's some info about the caliper paint:
http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_results.asp?model=R170&class=slk-class&category=Caliper+Paint+Kit
I think this is a good kit which includes everything you need =)
You can google for the heat resistant/brake caliper paint.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When it comes to center caps though, will I be able to purchase mb caps and put them in any rims? I guess what I'm asking [while we were talking about wheels] is can I buy any kind of rim, and just replace the center cap with the mb cap?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When it comes to center caps though, will I be able to purchase mb caps and put them in any rims? I guess what I'm asking [while we were talking about wheels] is can I buy any kind of rim, and just replace the center cap with the mb cap?
I would say MB caps won't fit every rim. Usually MB caps have the diameter of 75mm. You better check with the seller of the rims and ask if 75mm caps will fit the aftermarket rim ;)

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
THanks!!! Now you got me looking at wheels!!!! Was originally gonna refinish the factory ones til I saw this....

Gold may work quite well on Bella and Lucy!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.