Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered 2020 SLC200
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's not long before we go on a road-trip around Scotland and so thoughts turn, inevitably, to "...how in blazes are we going to fit everything in the banana and still get the roof down..."?

The initial prognosis wasn't good - be stinky and keep the roof down (I'm wavering on that!) or only put the roof down when we've got a 2, 3 or 4 night stop-over. We've good some hold-alls which fit the boot quite nicely with some extra space for the odd plastic bag but....

Brain-wave time! The emergency kit space!

20200904_122314.jpg

Seems like a reasonable size space. Mrs W then asked if one of our expandable suitcases would fit in there. "Don't be silly dear, but just to humour you I'll show you" whaddya know, as usual I should listen to my wife!

20200904_122723.jpg

Perfect! Extra clothing, and toiletries not to mention roof down when needed/wanted.

More photos to follow...

·
Registered 2016 SLC200
210 Posts
Good move. We've used that space before for things like walking boots when travelling fully loaded.

Have you also tried inverting the removable boot floor insert? Otherwise there is some wasted space above the metal floor at the sides of the wheel well. Drops the bags lower in the boot and may just allow the divider to slip over them so the roof can go down.

Still haven't worked out how to fit in my bodyboard plus luggage though.... Won't go behind the passenger seat either. :(

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
15,586 Posts

·
15,586 Posts
Here is the Hitch luggage rack I was talking about or try to find a used Slk luggage set.

If these ideas are not an option have the Butler follow you 30 Min. behind in the Rolls Royces. 😁 😁

·
Registered 2020 SLC200
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good move. We've used that space before for things like walking boots when travelling fully loaded.

Have you also tried inverting the removable boot floor insert? Otherwise there is some wasted space above the metal floor at the sides of the wheel well. Drops the bags lower in the boot and may just allow the divider to slip over them so the roof can go down.

Still haven't worked out how to fit in my bodyboard plus luggage though.... Won't go behind the passenger seat either. :(

the space either side of the suitcase won't be wasted as it'll be holiday odds'n'sods - leaving the boot floor at home

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
914 Posts
If these ideas are not an option have the Butler follow you 30 Min. behind in the Rolls Royces. 😁
I would want my good man to be 30min ahead .. so when I arrive the luggage is away and a GnT is handed as I walk in 😂
... and then I wake up!

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,715 Posts
"The flying banana", eh? Funny....

Reactions: Berliner Heckflosse

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC300 Founding member #7
2,181 Posts
We traveled for about 3 weeks and about 5,000 miles in our 2006 SLK 350. Just packed two "overhead" bags and stuffed some extra shoes and jackets etc. in the left over spaces.

The trick is to pack a LOT of underwear and don't be a slave to fashion ;-)

·
15,586 Posts
In case you need to bring you Bar from the Men Cave along to enjoy your fav cocktail you might have to bring out the heavy weapon along and hitch it behind the cruiser of your choice. 😃 😃😁😁

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
1,715 Posts
That car is too pretty to be named or called "banana"... me, I'd nick name it "solar yellow eclipse" or something more funky, in recognition as one of the very last of the SLK/C car ever built (model being eclipsed)...

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK55 AMG
1,868 Posts

·
Registered 2020 SLC200
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after the successful test packing I guess it was inevitable that the real thing wouldn't be quite as smooth :ROFLMAO: , in fairness though I can't complain. The total for 18 days was:
One medium sized hold-all
One small/medium sized hold all
One medium/cabin luggage (expanded to the max)
One ruck-sack in the boot
One ruck-sack in the car
4 spare pairs of shoes (2 each)
2 warm(ish) coats
One hand bag (her's not mine!)
One travel-pillow (in the centre glovebox 😁 )

And the roof still opens...

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,773 Posts
I find the first pack is smooth. It's trying to re-pack on subsequent starts causes issues. For whatever reason, stuff seems to expand 😉

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,859 Posts
Well done on the packing - Where there's a will, there's a way..!!
Have a good trip, hope the Scottish Weather gods shine on You & look forward to lots of pictures in Your Road Trip Field Report(y)

·
15,586 Posts
One medium sized hold-all
One small/medium sized hold all
One medium/cabin luggage (expanded to the max)
One ruck-sack in the boot
One ruck-sack in the car
4 spare pairs of shoes (2 each)
2 warm(ish) coats
One hand bag (her's not mine!)
One travel-pillow (in the centre glovebox 😁 )

If it fits in an Slk that is all you need in Life and all the other stuff at home is waiting for the ultimate Garage Sale. 😁 😁

1 - 20 of 68 Posts