Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1

Registered
Great article! 馃槅 and very apt as I'm in the States right now. And loving it.

Thought I should mention that we Brits, although technically still part of Europe for the time being, use miles, feet and inches too.

Makes perfect sense to me 馃槅

Premium Member
as well as bushels and pecks... though the yanks pints/quarts are smaller (it is about size!)... weaker beer...

As for cashless...come on over to Canada. It's rare to find Canadians with more than 10$ in their wallet - we use credit or debit (draws directly from your chequing account, no fee) for everything.. Americans have still not figured out a national banking system...nor do they understand credit card chips as a security feature (Germany had it in 95 when we were there, Canada took till about 2003 for this new and amazing technology! lol).

Super Moderator
Oddly, I don't get holidays, nor Bank Holidays and I work in the UK. It's all built into the system that I work. I like it that way.

A gallon is still used on both sides of the water. Except, the UK gallon is 1.2 US? And the US also has a 'dry' gallon.

In the UK we price fuel by the litre but still refer to mpg...

Wherever we live is normal.

Wherever we visit is weird.

It's part of the reason we visit in the first place.

Registered
...nor do they understand credit card chips as a security feature...
They are now rapidly issuing chip cards in the US, but they are chip and signature, not chip and PIN, so they are still of limited usefulness when traveling to Europe. Only a very few banks issue chip and PIN cards and you have to specifically request them. Even then, most people in the bank customer service call centers don't know there are two kinds and will often tell you that it is a chip and PIN card when it is not.

Registered
The only time the US non-chip & PIN system really bugs me is when I go to fuel up.
Instead of just putting my card in the slot I have to go to the kiosk where I am asked "how much fuel do you want?"
I'm driving a strange car, want to top up, so how the **** do I know?

Registered
The only time the US non-chip & PIN system really bugs me is when I go to fuel up.
Instead of just putting my card in the slot I have to go to the kiosk where I am asked "how much fuel do you want?"
I'm driving a strange car, want to top up, so how the **** do I know?
Or if you attempt to do so after hours, then you're just out of luck. Or if you're in a railway/underground station and there are no live people available (happened to me at the Le Defense station in Paris...a major station...and I didn't have enough Euro coins to purchase a ticket).

Registered
More odd stuff from the US:

- Kim Kardashian
- Town without sidewalk
- Tax declaration complexity
- Every drive is too far and too many red lights
- Waiter asking every too often if everything is OK
- $10 for a piece of proper cheese
- $100 for a proper bottle of Champagne
- Asking for your ID even if you are 40 when buying wine at supermarket
- TV and its tons of adverts
- Bank drive thru

Premium Member
Great article! 馃槅 and very apt as I'm in the States right now. And loving it.

Thought I should mention that we Brits, although technically still part of Europe for the time being, use miles, feet and inches too.

Makes perfect sense to me 馃槅
Not all the time though....
We Manufacture in Metric apart from Oil items and Aerospace, most of the time.
We use a Metric based currency.
Buy Petrol in Litres but measure how many Miles to the Gallon...???
We have always tried to confuse things so that they can not be copied.
Inches, Feet, Furlongs, Chains, Yards, CWT, Tons, Pounds, etc, etc.
Nothing makes sense in the UK which keeps others on the Back Foot.

fastdawg
I saw a list like this about a week ago. Pretty funny stuff as I used to live in Spain in the Early 80's for 3 years. Ice, was an unknown over there and the first time we showed up at a restaurant at 5:30 PM and it was closed until 8:30 was a rude awakening! LOL

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
BC, I got carded the other Day at Hooters for ordering a None Alcoholic Beer.......keep in mind i am 52.:frown: Good to know that you do not need a Back Round Check when you want to buy a Gun at a Trade Show and run Amog..:confused::confused::confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts