Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Do you feel like you spend dozens of hours every year stuck in traffic? If you live in Los Angeles and surrounding areas of Southern California, chances are you do. However, the access to quality infrastructure for drivers (e.g., parking lots, repair shops, and gas stations) means Southern California residents don’t have it the worst among American car owners in 2016. This dubious honor goes to big cities on the East Coast and much farther north on the West Coast.

WalletHub, a site specializing in credit reports, analyzed data on the key elements of owning a vehicle in the 100 most populated cities in the U.S. to determine the best and worst places for drivers. Analysts looked at ownership and maintenance costs (30%); traffic and infrastructure (30%); auto safety and severity of citations/fines (30%); and number of dealerships and service centers per capita. Here are the 10 cities that were the worst of the bunch.

10. Boston

If you live in Boston, maybe you should use the public transportation available. WalletHub rated Beantown the very worst in parking, number of repair shops, and access to car washes. You’ll pay a ton to park if you actually can find a spot, and if you need something fixed you’ll have to go out of your way to find a garage. With these conditions, no wonder Zipcar is headquartered in Boston. Our advice: Borrow, share, rent, repeat. And definitely become acquainted with mass transit options.

read the rest here

10 Worst Cities for Car Owners in America

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't Fort Worth if I can help it, but the absence of traffic after 6:30 or so is weird. Just a sleepy town, I guess. Once got on I-30 eastbound west of downtown at 8:30, didn't see another car until I got to Arlington, about 15 miles away. I attribute this to there being not a lot to do there. Same when I was growing up there. ZZZZZ.

Surprised Houston didn't make the cut. Traffic was one reason I left in the 1970s. Freeway standstill at 2:00 a.m.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
If Detroit is #2 , i'm not sure they know what they are talking about. Great freeway system, easiest rush hour for a big city that I am aware of. The recession in 2009 just about made rush hour a non-event.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If Detroit is #2 , The recession in 2009 just about made rush hour a non-event.
Isn't that a bad thing? Please don't take offense but I went to Detroit about two years ago for the first time. It was rather depressing. I guess it's all these dang foreign imports. Oh crap wrong forum! Click.....

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Yeah, from an economy standpoint for sure not good. But even when things were humming, the highway system could handle the traffic pretty well. I had a 35 mile commute across town, and it rarely took more than 40 minutes.

Of course, I shouldn't be one to talk, we bolted for Colorado in 2010....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts