Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 tarnished halo cars - Yahoo! Autos

Chrysler Crossfire 2003-2007

Conceived as a tribute to the ill-fated merger of Daimler-Benz and Chrysler, 80% of the Crossfire's parts came from Mercedes, and the car itself was assembled in Germany. But just as Chrysler itself never warmed to the Daimler takeover, customers never warmed to the Crossfire's mixed parentage, leaving huge inventories of unsold cars. After peaking at 35,700, annual sales dribbled down to 2,000 before Chrysler, in a pre-bankruptcy restructuring, ceased production.

Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky 2005-2009

These two roadsters were supposed to inject a much-needed jolt into the flagging Pontiac and Saturn brands, and GM launched them with all the thunder that a failing automaker could muster. Yet even the imprimatur of design guru Bob Lutz couldn't fend off harsh comments from car reviewers who found them dynamically inferior to the long-established Mazda Miata and incapable of carrying any baggage than could fit in a number 10 envelope. Touted as instant classics, they are now little more than curiosities -- poor relatives to the 60-year-old-and-still-going-strong Chevy Corvette.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Can't hit a home run every time. Out of the entire list, never cared for any of them. Some went for a premium when first introduced. Double ouch.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,920 Posts
I'm surprised my 1984 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 (which stood for 2 door, mid-engine, 4-speed) didn't make the list. Bought the Fiero when I was stationed in Mannheim. No one had ever seen one (German or American). It was a blast, however, it loved to do an Irish jig whenever it hit wet cobblestone.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
I still really like the Solstice/Sky. Beautiful cars that always make my head turn whenever I see one. Too bad they didn't have a hardtop and a more powerful engine.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
The Subaru must be the only car that needs an engine out to change the spark plugs. They cant be removed in situ as the chassis is in the way. Nice engine though

·
Registered
72 Posts
I still like the look of the Saturn Sky (the trunk with the gas tank sitting in the center of it kept me from purchasing one though), Cadillac Allante, and Studebaker Avanti.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had the Solstice and still love the looks of it. Trunk space was limited but was a great car for driving. If they made it a hard top covertible I probably would still own it today....

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hardtop yes, but you had to do it manually!

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
So....I learned 3 things I already knew........:biglaugh:

1) Italians cannot build Cadillacs
2) Americans cannot build Maseratis.
3) My brother-in-law owns an Avanti (hasn't moved for 20 years)....nuff said!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Subaru must be the only car that needs an engine out to change the spark plugs. They cant be removed in situ as the chassis is in the way. Nice engine though
Actually, they are changed without removing engine, although more difficult than most...the airbox is removed, as is the battery and tray. There are access holes inside of fender for socket extension. The design is a coil on plug, the coil is 1st removed then the plug. The factory plug was a NGK iridium, which lasts 100k. My family presently has three of these, which I maintain. I have owned 2 911, a 914, BMW 2002, 320i,533i, 325, 63 Corvette, 69 Mach1, 70 Buick GS455, MGB, Triumph Spitfire, Jaguar XJ6, as well as a few less well known cars. The SVX is my favorite of them all...it can and has been driven in the worse New England winter weather without letting me down, something none of the others including our SLK can do

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had an '06 Solstice for a couple years.

It was a decent handling car (I threw on some Azeni 615s) but even with a tune the car was underpowered, as was my '86 Fiero 2M6.

The interior was put together poorly - leather on the seats started to stretch. Stereo was adequate.

I didn't buy the car for practical reasons so the shortage of truck space was not an issue.

It got good mileage.

If it had more grunt (yeah, I looked at the V8 conversions) i would have kept it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Solstice GXPs and the Sky Redlines were a bit more fun than the standard variants. There is a single Solstice GXP Coupe running around where I live which is apparently a super rare car. They only made a few of the coupes (really to me it seems more of a targa) and even fewer GXP versions.. A friend of mine has a GXP and it's fun, but the interior is all..plasticky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.