Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
88 Posts
I have Airscarf, I personally think it's rather useless. When going over 30mph, it gets blown away. Even when sitting still your head tends to be too far away from it to really feel warmed by the light breath of your seat. I still made it one of my must have options, I think it looks really cool and is a quick eye catcher for a first time passenger.

I think it made this list for the wrong reason, I like the name Airscarf. It's pretty original to me and I have no problem saying it's name in Texas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Airscarf was on my 'must have' list because all the road tests etc rate it as a 'must have'.
Actually - I find it disappointing in that it doesn't seem close enough or spread out enough to do much. I would now rate it as a 'don't really care' option.

The heated seats are excellent though, but I note with some trepidation that quite a few have had trouble with these on a regular basis.

·
Registered
405 Posts
at 2-10 degrees celcius (that's a realistic evening/morning temp here) I love airscarf.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I'm with Soelas on this one, and the wife agrees - we used it night before last, at about 60F outside, 70+mph, with the windows up. If you don't have a windblocker, I can see where it would be less usefull. Still on my must have list.

·
Registered
600 Posts
This reminds me of a Jalopik article on redundant features, tons of MB features on there some of them from the new E-Class.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have used air scarf with the top up in Germany, much faster then the regular heat. It only works well at speed if you have the wind blocker and windows up.

Actually, I am glad they kept the name. They actually were going to call it "active head heating system" in the USA because they thought we would think it was too "girly".

Did you ever notice it makes your seats look like a smilling robot? Just put a couple of dots for eyes!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I didn't and don't want airscarf. IMHO it spoils the look of the headrest pad and is functionally unnecessary. Surely the whole point of having an open roof is to feel the fresh cool air.....

For those that love and appreciate airscarf, fair play to ya. Enjoy..

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hmm, I also think its rather overrated and it wouldnt be a decider if I was buying again but below 70mph it does work for me and on balance at its worth having at the price. I dont like the car without the windblocker at all unless its 30c then its windows down and windblocker out the way. Actually I think I prefer a coupe with a sunroof- oops did i say that.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I didn't and don't want airscarf. IMHO it spoils the look of the headrest pad and is functionally unnecessary. Surely the whole point of having an open roof is to feel the fresh cool air.....

For those that love and appreciate airscarf, fair play to ya. Enjoy..
Well, in my '88 Fiero GT with T-Tops, I always got nagged by Frank about how cold his neck was. The airscarf was so I could have the top down and shut him up. Funny enough, he doesn't really have it on even when I have mine on. If I didn't have it, he may try using that excuse, but he can't since I do have it.

Even if I did not get other uses out of it, like driving top down in 58 F (cold to us South Floridians) destroying the spouse's reasoning for putting the kybosh on the fun is all the reason to have it. ;-)

I mount the wind blocker ONLY when Frank is in the car, or it's exceedingly cold. I love wind in the hair, full bore!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am from South Texas, it is so hot in here, day time is about 102-105°c :(, and its about 81-84 °c at night, Not really need them, but they look cool tho.

Bruce:usa:

·
Registered
840 Posts
I actually have a different use for the Airscarf feature. Yes, I find it useful top down on days when it would otherwise be too cold for top down. But it works on very cold days in warming the interior top up on very cold days. It warms much quicker than the car heater, and makes those first few miles on a top up drive in very cold weather more comfortable.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Indeed I do the same and it certainly helps defrost the windscreen more quickly. I dont rate the heated seats much as its too slow and nowhere near my BMW, Audi or R129 sl was

·
Registered
75 Posts
My heated seats work well, but I agree that the ones in the BMW 3 series are much quicker to warm up.
I had a Honda - and the seats were really slow to warm up - the SLK ones are nowhere near that slow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Spot the Canadians by their beliefs on Airscarf. :)

I absolutely love it (particularly when combined with the heated seats) because it extends my top-down season to almost be year-round here. I have friends with a wide variety of convertibles (S2000's, Z4's, etc) and none of them have the top down much past October, while I'll happily have it down for all but a few weeks a year when it dips much below zero.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.