Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've noticed a whine/humming noise from the engine bay upon slow 1st gear acceleration only when in a quiet area. I took it both to an independent shop as well as the dealer and both diagnosed the noise as the powersteering pump using a stethoscope.

The drive hasn't changed and the fluid isn't sloshing around in the reservoir as the dealer expected. I was told by the owner of the independent shop that it's just a noise that develops over time/miles and that it's completely fine/safe to drive and the noise is just an annoyance.

I dropped the car off at the dealer anyway to get it replaced but they told me the part is on national backorder and won't arrive until roughly March 17th.

My question is: Should I bother replacing the pump at all? I can only notice the noise in 1st/2nd gear accelerating very lightly when no one else is around, otherwise it's drowned out by the engine/exhaust noise.

Thanks!

edit: The dealer quoted me ~900$ for the job and the independent shop quoted me ~800$. If it's just a noise, I don't really feel the need to replace it. If it's a problem waiting to happen, I will replace it when the part comes in.

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the PS pump replaced. No change. A friend's SLK55 sounds exactly the same. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I see you have a 350 though. My 280 never made the noise but I have no experience with 350s.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2007 SLK55 has the same whiney sound :(
Deleting the center resonator and adding the x-pipe helps drown it out with the sound of a glorious V8 :)
I REALLY wish there was a way to get an open-filter element on this car, it would really drown out the whiny sound from under the hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.