Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 SLK55 has almost 50,000 miles on it. I have been noticing that some issues are happening here and there that are basically known wear/tear issues or other known issues. for example, my car is in the shop for replacement of a faulty cps sensor.

I am not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this (feel free to move if it isnt), but I was wondering if there are more well known issues that an slk55 with ~50,000 miles would be prone to experiencing? i have a little left on the mb warranty and i would like to be on the lookout for potential known warning signs of trouble so that i can get them taken care of before the warranty expires.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
My 2007 SLK55 has almost 50,000 miles on it. I have been noticing that some issues are happening here and there that are basically known wear/tear issues or other known issues. for example, my car is in the shop for replacement of a faulty cps sensor.

I am not entirely sure if this is the correct place to post this (feel free to move if it isnt), but I was wondering if there are more well known issues that an slk55 with ~50,000 miles would be prone to experiencing? i have a little left on the mb warranty and i would like to be on the lookout for potential known warning signs of trouble so that i can get them taken care of before the warranty expires.

thanks in advance.
Maybe the valve body but not sure if that applies to the 55 AMG or only the 280/350.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Power steering pump....several on this forum have had them replaced...also the idler pulley. Then there is the infamous seat heater elements that go out.

Other than that....tire wear on the fronts due to negative camber.

OK....I'm done now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, i am well aware of the tire wear issues. i go thru a set in a year to a year and a half. lol.

the other issues are interesting. was sorta hoping to get a general listing of known issues with some 20/20 symptoms so we can educate the crowd. has this been done before?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
oh, i am well aware of the tire wear issues. i go thru a set in a year to a year and a half. lol.

the other issues are interesting. was sorta hoping to get a general listing of known issues with some 20/20 symptoms so we can educate the crowd. has this been done before?
I haven't had the idler pulley issue so I can't offer symptoms. On the power steering pump, mine started with a very stiff steering wheel when it was below 40F overnight (doesn't happen to often in SoCal!). I also had a "growl" until the car warmed up for about a minute. It all went away with the pump replacement.

The CPS is obvious and already discussed (see my post "P0335")....the seat heaters may seem obvious but perhaps not...in mine the seat back worked great, the bottom not so much! It seems the seat bottom element is prone to damage if someone places their knee on the seat and then puts their body weight on that knee (like when reaching to the passenger side or something).

On tire wear, I've heard similar stories to yours (replace every year/year+half), but I have yet to replace any of my tires since I put them on 3 years ago....and 15Kmi. I did have the front end checked and adjustment(s) were made. They are Michelin PS2's if that helps.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,118 Posts
don't forget the engine gasket leaking oil that gets replaced under warranty for known issues

·
94,118 Posts
yup!

valve cover gaskets. had mine done twice!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
yup!

valve cover gaskets. had mine done twice!
Ha! As my Dad would have said...."if you would have fixed it the first time, I wouldn't be here chewing your a$$ and generally have a bad attitude"!

p.s. He's a retired (since passed) Command Sargent Major USArmy.

·
94,118 Posts
God bless him!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i completely forgot about the valve cover issue. i had those replaced soon after i purchased this car certified used. i took the car in for maintenance/fixing some minor cosmetic warranty issues (ex. missing screw in convertible top tray in trunk) at the place where i purchased the car. seems the mb dealer there was keen on noting in the report that i had gasket leaks with oil on engine. however, no one at mb ever told me about it and they let me drive the car back home (over an hour away) with the issue only being disclosed in the paperwork. the issue was not fixed until i returned home, looked at the paperwork and found the issue. not very happy with that dealer and i would not have a bicycle serviced by them in the future, let alone a car. my local dealer resolved the issue under warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I also have the seepage at the valve covers. Other posts say this is "normal" and will come back again anyway. I'm not sure when or if the spark plugs were ever changed. I guess I might as well get them done at the same time?

It was actually a lot more grime but I had cleaned most of it before taking pictures.

I think a critter was living in the engine bay at some point. I pulled out some weird stuffing.

·
94,118 Posts
Spark plugs not due until 80k on 09. Check your maintenance manual for your model year or number of years

·
94,118 Posts
make sure because 16 plugs are about $900

·
Registered
270 Posts
OEM uses NGK and some people I know went with Denso plugs.. With labor it would cost alot but if you could diy, you could save alot as well.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Just turned over 50,000 miles on my 07 SLK55. No major issues at all. I perform normally recommended service at the proper intervals. I am going to replace the cabin filter myself to save a few bucks, but zero major issues. A few roof alignments over the last few years, but I expect that's quite common.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.