Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the center runner arm and mechanism were broken, and I put a new Intake in my 06 SLK 280 (R171). New gaskets, head bolts and vacumn lines/hoses as necessary. After driving 40 or 50 miles, I get a barage of 6 DTCs: P0170, P2015, P0173, and another (second set) of P2015, P0170, P0173. (???) Car idles funny, but observation of the intake verifies that all 3 runners working normally. So I do a reset, and in 30 or 50 or maybe even 100 miles, Boom...Check Enginge, with the same 6. I've looked and looked, double-checked every connection I can see, but same thing over and over. Any similar experiences? Ideas? Suggestions?

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
674 Posts
Ok, so the center runner arm and mechanism were broken, and I put a new Intake in my 06 SLK 280 (R171). New gaskets, head bolts and vacumn lines/hoses as necessary. After driving 40 or 50 miles, I get a barage of 6 DTCs: P0170, P2015, P0173, and another (second set) of P2015, P0170, P0173. (???) Car idles funny, but observation of the intake verifies that all 3 runners working normally. So I do a reset, and in 30 or 50 or maybe even 100 miles, Boom...Check Enginge, with the same 6. I've looked and looked, double-checked every connection I can see, but same thing over and over. Any similar experiences? Ideas? Suggestions?
when you reinstalled the manifold, the gaskets were somehow folded/misaligned.... which cause vacuum leaked. You need to remove the manifold and redo.... search the posts here.. almost everybody ran into this issue installing the manifold.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when you reinstalled the manifold, the gaskets were somehow folded/misaligned.... which cause vacuum leaked. You need to remove the manifold and redo.... search the posts here.. almost everybody ran into this issue installing the manifold.
Do you really think that's thr issue? I read before the job about a lot of people having gasket issues and I was extremely careful when installing them. (Not saying I might not have, I just wanna be real sure befor I order new bolts and gaskets. (And do all that work again....), but I certainly will if you feel strongly about it. I respect your opinion.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gaskets are problematic, how did you secure them during installation? Also check the tubing between the AMM and the manifold.
jbanks mentioned the gakets too. I just used a small shot of spray adhesive on the ends...and I'm pretty certain they didn't move.

between the "AMM" (no idea what that is) and the manifold (and thus have no idea where that is). (Newby, no books...sorry).

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,177 Posts
on the back of the manifold there is a large plastic tube that admits air - by way of the air filters and then the Air Mass Meter (AMM, aka Mass Air Flow or MAF). That tubing is easy to dislodge between the AMM and intake manifold.

Also there are two electrical connectors on the back for the tumble flap sensors, make sure they are both seated properly.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
674 Posts
Do you really think that's thr issue? I read before the job about a lot of people having gasket issues and I was extremely careful when installing them. (Not saying I might not have, I just wanna be real sure befor I order new bolts and gaskets. (And do all that work again....), but I certainly will if you feel strongly about it. I respect your opinion.
I was extremely carefully too. Used fished string, different strings, super glue ... and not just the end but throughout the whole lenght.... it still folded/misaligned!!. Ended up had to redo it 3 times to get right!!. I have since done 5 cars used spray adhesive (from A1 frabic). Spray throughout the lenght of the gasket. This trick work perfect everytime.

·
*Registered
2007 SLK350
232 Posts
I was extremely care when I repared mine but after that a lot of error appears in the car and...the gasket was the problem. I repeated all the process again with Extremely Care Plus :ROFLMAO: and after that all the problems disappeared.

I suggest you repeat the process, the first time I did it I needed near three hours, the second one was just one hour (two people), it's not a hard job after all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts