Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 06 amg with only 22k miles, and ive noticed that the rotors are rusted...we got the car 7 months ago and it basically sat in the garage until i got my license so could that be the cause of the rust. Also, im pretty sure the car sat at the dealer for a long time too taking the 22k miles into consideration. Also, when braking when driving, the brakes squeal/screech and make the high pitched squeaky noise until it comes to a full stop

Can someone tell me what I could do about the rotors and the squeaking problem??? :)

Thank You!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
99,615 Posts
they should stop squeaking and shine up nicely with daily use

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,950 Posts
Get it up to a decent speed, then slam on the brakes as hard as you can until car comes to full stop. Rinse and repeat until rotors are shiny!

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
SLK55 AMG before you got your license? Lucky. Don't worry about the rust on brakes, it's normal. Next time you wash a car, pay attention to the brakes the next day after parking it over night. They will be rusty. Use the brakes a bit and they will be shiny and clean again.

My 2007 030 SLK55 squeals a lot, it's normal with high performance brakes. I see a lot of Porsches with the same sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get it up to a decent speed, then slam on the brakes as hard as you can until car comes to full stop. Rinse and repeat until rotors are shiny!
if my dad sees me doing that consider me dead hahahha ;)...but anything in particular to clean them with?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SLK55 AMG before you got your license? Lucky. Don't worry about the rust on brakes, it's normal. Next time you wash a car, pay attention to the brakes the next day after parking it over night. They will be rusty. Use the brakes a bit and they will be shiny and clean again.

My 2007 030 SLK55 squeals a lot, it's normal with high performance brakes. I see a lot of Porsches with the same sound.
alright thank you!

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
I know things are different in the islands, but how do you SEE a SOUND?

Why yes, I am feeling frisky tonight....
I didn't say I saw a sound, I saw a Porsche that made the same sound. :butt:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Wow! pretty decent first car. Be careful with it, strong performance and inexperience are not good bedfellows. Easy in the right foot and steering wheel until you understand what the car is saying to you would be my advice.

As for the discs, a little left-foot braking while driving along will clean up the rotors (unless the ECU nanny takes the throttle off you that is). They should clean up with use.

Don't go in for heavy braking straight away, you may end up with distorted rotors. Just firm braking, but not excessive.

As for the squeeling noise... The large rotors, 6 or 4-pot calipers and hard pads are all designed for halting a high performance car from speed. Most of the time, cars like the SLK are driven around town and on longer journeys where the brakes are only ever used lightly. Under these light braking conditions where the pads don't really get up to full working temperature, the brakes will squeel.

The good news is, if you are travelling at speed and need to throw out the anchor, they'll do a MUCH better job of stopping than typical 'noiseless' brakes will.

Enjoy your car R)

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
phs1996, would your parents like to adopt me...

And rfourt, you need to add a "just joking" or ";)'s") to posts that are obviously meant as jokes(your posts WERE meant as jokes, right?); there ARE people out there who don't know how to do certain "things" :(... :tu:

·
Registered
65 Posts
phs1996, would your parents like to adopt me...

And rfourt, you need to add a "just joking" or ";)'s") to posts that are obviously meant as jokes(your posts WERE meant as jokes, right?); there ARE people out there who don't know how to do certain "things" :(... :tu:
Said to say, you're probably right...Yes, yes I was joking. :biglaugh::):biglaugh::):biglaugh:;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.