Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My supercharger has been making diesel sounds (at idle) for some time (despite my SLK having only 40,000mi since brand new), and I am finally wanting to pull it and inspect it.

I have been assured (we'll see) that it's most likely the coupling disk, and have one ready to install.

My question is on removal.

Is it easily removed with the car on a flat surface, or is there any need to have it on a lift?

I have a shop w/ a 2-Post lift, but it's always tied up with friends' cars, so if I could just do it in the bay next to my lift bay (and not tying up the lift while my SLK is apart) it would be preferable.

After removal, I've been told that if I mount it vertically in a vise, I can remove the nose for disk replacement without draining the oil inside (which everyone has told me should be OK at 40k miles). Beside replacing the disk, what inspections or tests should I do, or replacement undertake while the S/C is off the car? How much supercharger oil (GM S/C is what I've been told to use) should I get in preparation should I drain/refill my unit while out of the vehicle?

I also want to change the hydraulic chain tensioner as the first few seconds after start after the car has been sitting a long time always start quiet until the tensioner piston is pushed back, then I hear chain rattle for a second or seconds and a half, then it is utterly silent from then on.

I've been told that the tensioner is supposed to have a one-way ratcheting function specifically so once extended, it will not retract and be noisy while awaiting oil pressure. I purchased a new tensioner, and plan to install it when the supercharger is removed for inspection and whatever else it needs.

Any comments on ANYTHING I've said or proposed would be most welcome!

Bob

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
I have a 230 engine in my shop that I can snap some more pictures of. I don't believe that you need to get under it, as the 4 main supercharger bolts can be accessed from the top, it's really tight though!

You cant get underneath the supercharger anyways because the alternator is there.

IMG_2927.jpg

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 4 main supercharger bolts can be accessed from the top, it's really tight though!

You cant get underneath the supercharger anyways because the alternator is there.

View attachment 473697
That looks BIG out of the car!

I guess if it's not possible to assist from below, I'm pretty much stuck with the topside.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered 2003 SLK230
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.