Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 03 SLK32 AMG for less than 2 months, thought I would chime in. Since everyone asks, I bought mine in Wichita, KS, USA, from a dealer. Paid $18k, it has 48k miles on it. I am the third owner. The only thing I could find wrong were the seat bottoms do not heat, which I read was a common trait. The CD changer also did not work but since I had no plan to keep it that did not lower the value for me.

Since I have had it I noticed something odd with the tranny which I detailed in another thread. Not sure if that will cost $$, but I assume it will.

Car is silver with grey interior.

I did make it to one autocross before we shut down for the winter. Learned my tires were not very good (Eagle GT), and I needed to learn how to drive the automatic. The car and I were fighting over gears. By my last run I think I figured it out. I think the car will be a blast to drive, especially with ESP off.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,278 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members and guests should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/
Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you mean you were fighting over the gears?
I tired the first run in D, just to see what it would do. As expected the performance was not impressive. In autocross there are quick spurts of straight interrupted by very tight corners and coming out of the corners I would step on the gas and not much would happen for a brief period. The car then figured out I wanted to go fast and would down shift and take off. Those delays add up to a big deal in a 50 second run.

Next run I put it in 1 to start. I tried to drive it like a manual doing the ups and downs as needed and keep track in my head so I did not have to look at the number. Of course the car would put some shifts in there as well so that did not work.

By the end I figured out to start in 1, then let the car do the up-shifts (as if I could stop it). Prior to the corner when I do my straight line braking I will glance at the indicator, which seems to always be on 4, and tap it down to the gear I want. By the time I get out of the corner the trans is where it needs to be and I can take off again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am in the market for a 32 now as well. Saw you bought yours from a dealer. I was curious if that was a strategy, or that is just how it worked out. Did you do it for warranty reasons?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is that a salvaged 32? Set of new Michelins? If so, he was on Craigslist a few months ago. I exchanged some email with that seller. I was ready to make an offer except I was worried about the alignment/frame. New michelins on a recently repaired salvaged car? I wanted to make the offer contingent on PPI + alignment. He never got back to me.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I am in the market for a 32 now as well. Saw you bought yours from a dealer. I was curious if that was a strategy, or that is just how it worked out. Did you do it for warranty reasons?
The OP is more than 1 year old.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in the market for an SLK, really did not think I would find an AMG here in middle America. When I would search nationwide I always found them on a coast. When the AMG showed up an hour from my house I jumped on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is that a salvaged 32? Set of new Michelins? If so, he was on Craigslist a few months ago. I exchanged some email with that seller. I was ready to make an offer except I was worried about the alignment/frame. New michelins on a recently repaired salvaged car? I wanted to make the offer contingent on PPI + alignment. He never got back to me.
This car WAS in California and brought to Oregon. I will examine the car, title, NADA and carfax. Won't catch me purchasing a salvage vehicle. Price is set around retail KBB. WE will see. I hope it works out. SLK32's in black are rare in this area.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The seller was pretty open about the salvaged title. He sent me pics of the repair. So if it was not mentioned, it is probably not the same car. If the tires are brand new Michelins tho, I'd ask for the title ASAP.

Good luck. Would be interested to hear how it works out.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.