Vediamo Intro - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Star Diagnose Vediamo Coding Any links or post’s leading to pirated software will be immediately deleted. SLKWORLD is not responsible for any damage caused by miscoding, use at your own risk.

 7Likes
  • 4 Post By VII7
  • 1 Post By VII7
  • 1 Post By JudgeMing
  • 1 Post By VII7
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-09-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 693
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Post Vediamo Intro

So what’s this Vediamo that keeps getting mentioned and why?

Vediamo is an engineering level diagnostic and development software for Mercedes. This differs from DAS/Xentry as these are workshop diagnostic level tools, the audience for Vediamo is engineers while the audience for DAS/Xentry is Technicians. Vediamo is significantly unfriendlier and riskier than DAS/Xentry but it is also more flexible and provides more access.

With the change to always online coding in Xentry the only way to do manual custom coding in the R172 is Vediamo (Since the R172 is not supported in DAS) and this is why it now pops up here and there in the MB world.

So what is it useful for?

Installation of new/used control units
Retrofits
Fixing some annoying things MBUSA (or MB) did
jbanks15, Cobstar, Avel Du and 1 others like this.
VII7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-09-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 693
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Vediamo Modules

Vediamo is composed of multiple modules a brief description is provided below

Ecoute - Graphical interface for diagnostics, development and flashing. This is the module you would use to connect to a module in a vehicle, when someone references Vediamo they are usually referring to the Ecoute module.

Flash Station - Useful for mass flashing

Dimelo - Useful to automate data recording

Weker - Useful when working with a test bench

Attached Images
File Type: png StartCenter.PNG (124.7 KB, 144 views)
VII7 is offline  
#3 Old 08-09-2018
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 55; 2005 SLK 350
Other Toys: Several past R170's
Posts: 4,272
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 577 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Thanks: 155
Thanked 514 Times in 475 Posts
Does it have any backwards support for older cars?

What do the technicians repairing cars use, e.g. to view live data, test functionality, etc?

What are the requirements to run this software?
efair is offline  
 
#4 Old 08-09-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 693
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
(Thread Starter)
1. Yes but usually you don't need it as DAS with developer access provides much of the functionality.
2. Technicians use DAS(older cars) or Xentry(newer cars)
3. Hardware is the same as DAS/Xentry, before using Vediamo you definitely want to have DAS/Xentry setup and working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by efair View Post
Does it have any backwards support for older cars?

What do the technicians repairing cars use, e.g. to view live data, test functionality, etc?

What are the requirements to run this software?
jbanks15 likes this.
VII7 is offline  
#5 Old 08-10-2018
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,384
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Thanks: 63
Thanked 175 Times in 166 Posts
Garage
I had to upgrade my MUX (the gizmo that comes between the PC and the OBD2 connector) to enable Vediamo access. Some kind of IC needed to be upgraded. It appeared that accessing through Vediamo also needed a different serial port on the laptop I use to access the car. Cumbersome.

But the real pain for me is the degree of difficulty working with Vediamo on controllers not knowing what all the codes and options mean. It is about the same as with the engineering menu of Comand. lots of stuff that can be changed but with most options you don't have a clue what they are doing and it could (prob. will) mean nothing because the car at hand couldn't support the option chosen. E.g. the options in Comand to enable the chairs in an SL with cooling and massage. Not likely in a R172.

What would be a tremendous help is a list of Vediamo codes and their explanations. I know that this is a very time consuming job (I did it for Comand) but until than you can do more harm to the car than help it and my advice would be to stay away unless you either know exactly what you are doing or will/can bear the consequences if things work out totally wrong.
MartinatMersea likes this.
JudgeMing is offline  
#6 Old 08-10-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 693
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeMing View Post
I had to upgrade my MUX (the gizmo that comes between the PC and the OBD2 connector) to enable Vediamo access. Some kind of IC needed to be upgraded. It appeared that accessing through Vediamo also needed a different serial port on the laptop I use to access the car. Cumbersome.

But the real pain for me is the degree of difficulty working with Vediamo on controllers not knowing what all the codes and options mean. It is about the same as with the engineering menu of Comand. lots of stuff that can be changed but with most options you don't have a clue what they are doing and it could (prob. will) mean nothing because the car at hand couldn't support the option chosen. E.g. the options in Comand to enable the chairs in an SL with cooling and massage. Not likely in a R172.

What would be a tremendous help is a list of Vediamo codes and their explanations. I know that this is a very time consuming job (I did it for Comand) but until than you can do more harm to the car than help it and my advice would be to stay away unless you either know exactly what you are doing or will/can bear the consequences if things work out totally wrong.
Yes, definitely not something you want to play blindly with. I'll post some detailed coding instructions about some quality of life improvements I've done to the R172 (I just have not gotten around to it).
If buying hardware you definitely want to locate a high quality unit so that "upgrades" are not needed.
JudgeMing likes this.
VII7 is offline  
#7 Old 08-10-2018
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 55; 2005 SLK 350
Other Toys: Several past R170's
Posts: 4,272
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 577 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Thanks: 155
Thanked 514 Times in 475 Posts
Are there options for DAS/SDS and Vediamo that don't involve Windows XP?
efair is offline  
#8 Old 08-10-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 693
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 113 Times in 107 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Yes but for C3 you need a serial port so you would have to go with SDconnect if you want to pair with something modern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by efair View Post
Are there options for DAS/SDS and Vediamo that don't involve Windows XP?
VII7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > Mercedes Benz R172 SLK Class Cars > Star Diagnose Vediamo Coding

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vediamo i860 DAS/STAR Coding 20 04-20-2019 09:41 AM
Help needed - how to begin with Vediamo? os62 SLK R172 General Discussion 8 11-20-2017 10:08 AM
New Member Intro 162545 New Members Introduce Yourself Here 17 04-13-2016 10:14 PM
Not so new member intro... CCRIDER New Members Introduce Yourself Here 14 04-15-2014 01:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.