Automatic AC Retrofit (Option 581) - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

SLK R172 General Discussion Discussion regarding the Mercedes SLK R172

 12Likes
  • 8 Post By VII7
  • 2 Post By VII7
  • 1 Post By JudgeMing
  • 1 Post By VII7
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-03-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 587
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 98 Times in 92 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Automatic AC Retrofit (Option 581)

It is done, I am free!!!

I know there are people who can perfectly live with classic manual AC control, I knew that was not me but then when buying this car I convinced myself that I could and it turns out I really can't.

So in case someone else finds themselves in this position here are the details. Unfortunately MB went a bit more Spartan on R172 basic AC hardware which means more parts are needed compared to R171.

Hardware (Cars are not prewired and wiring is not included in this list)
A1729004504 – Automatic Control Unit
A2118300272 – Air Temperature Sensor (Improves blower adjustment response time)
A1638300272 – Temperature Sensor for Right Legroom (Improves blower adjustment response time)
A0175450826 – Legroom Temperature Sensor Connector Bushing
A2049057501 – Sun Sensor (Enables blower variation with sun level)
*A2229051300 – Pollutant Sensor (Enables automatic recirculation when pollutant level detected)
*A1728300114 – Pollutant Sensor Bracket
*A2205400681 – Pollutant Sensor Connector Bushing
*A0039900251 – Mounting Nut for Pollutant Sensor Bracket
*A1728300203 – Dual Zone Heater Housing (Enables different temperature between left and right side)
*A1648202042 – Right Heat Blend Stepper Motor (Enables different temperature between left and right side)
*I am not fitting the pollutant sensor because it is too slow to actually help and not fitting the new heater housing because that requires dashboard removal.

Coding (Vediamo)
HVAC172 – RT_Einzeladressierung_Start 2C to 2A
HU45 – VCD_HU_Parameter HVAC Variant to 2-Zone (If you have COMAND)

BTW I previously tried the w204 automatic control unit, you can read about it here: https://www.slkworld.com/general-mod...ml#post3448762
jbanks15, JudgeMing, Trev5 and 5 others like this.
VII7 is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VII7 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-04-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Space Coast, FL
Vehicle: 2015 SLK350 Palladium/Beige, Sport
Posts: 51
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VII7 View Post
It is done, I am free!!!...

Hardware (Cars are not prewired and wiring is not included in this list)
*A1728300203 – Dual Zone Heater Housing (Enables different temperature between left and right side)
*A1648202042 – Right Heat Blend Stepper Motor (Enables different temperature between left and right side)
*I am not fitting the pollutant sensor because it is too slow to actually help and not fitting the new heater housing because that requires dashboard removal...[/url]
Congrats - very cool! (pun intended)
I'm interested in this mod, so some questions:
Are you satisfied with the results?
Total cost and time to do the mod?
Is your A/C now providing and regulating separate temp control automatically for driver and passenger side? I ask this since you omitted the two parts listed above in this post.
Does it look any different than a typical R172 with factory dual zone a/c?
Considering everything it took for you to have dual zone a/c, was it worth it?
Thanks
Sgooter is offline  
#3 Old 08-04-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 587
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 98 Times in 92 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Congrats - very cool! (pun intended)
I'm interested in this mod, so some questions:
Are you satisfied with the results?
Total cost and time to do the mod?
Is your A/C now providing and regulating separate temp control automatically for driver and passenger side? I ask this since you omitted the two parts listed above in this post.
Does it look any different than a typical R172 with factory dual zone a/c?
Considering everything it took for you to have dual zone a/c, was it worth it?
Thanks
1. Yes, after adding the sensors blower adjustment performance is pretty good
2. It’s about $500 with new parts, most of it is the control unit. Install is not bad (Without the heater case), about 3 hours.
3. No, temperature control is automatic but it is driven by the driver side only. Without the 2 chamber heater case there can only be one level of heat blend for the cabin.
4. No visual difference (The only visible parts are the control unit and sun sensor)
5. For me yes, it was this or changing the car
Trev5 and Sgooter like this.
VII7 is online now  
 
#4 Old 08-05-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Space Coast, FL
Vehicle: 2015 SLK350 Palladium/Beige, Sport
Posts: 51
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I'm now confused about the standard/basic air conditioning system in my '15 SLK350: Does the standard a/c system automatically maintain the selected cabin temperature setting?
Sgooter is offline  
#5 Old 08-05-2018
Moderator

 
LeonardoDaBenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Near Toronto, Ontario
Vehicle: 2012 SLK55 AMG "SCHWARZIE"
Other Toys: Magnum RT and an ugly Civic
Posts: 9,154
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Thanks: 328
Thanked 538 Times in 500 Posts
Garage
@Sgooter, I see you haven't asked for your FREE!! Vehicle Datacard (options on your car).

Get Your Free Data Card Here

Just post your VIN and we'll see what we can do


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



LEN

(Moderator)

“I can’t give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give
you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.”


Herbert Bayard Swope

------>TORONTO RAPTORS 2019 NBA CHAMPIONS<------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LeonardoDaBenz is online now  
#6 Old 08-05-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Space Coast, FL
Vehicle: 2015 SLK350 Palladium/Beige, Sport
Posts: 51
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I have the VIN data sheet for my car, and it lists Code 580 Air Conditioner.
Sgooter is offline  
#7 Old 08-05-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 587
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 98 Times in 92 Posts
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
I'm now confused about the standard/basic air conditioning system in my '15 SLK350: Does the standard a/c system automatically maintain the selected cabin temperature setting?
The standard ac automatically varies the temperature (heat blend) but not the amount of air coming out (blower).
VII7 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to VII7 For This Useful Post:
#8 Old 08-06-2018
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Space Coast, FL
Vehicle: 2015 SLK350 Palladium/Beige, Sport
Posts: 51
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VII7 View Post
The standard ac automatically varies the temperature (heat blend) but not the amount of air coming out (blower).
Makes sense. Thanks.
Sgooter is offline  
#9 Old 12-29-2018
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cluj, Romania
Vehicle: 2011 - Edition 1 - SLK 250 R172
Posts: 474
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Thanks: 67
Thanked 58 Times in 34 Posts
Garage
I never realized I had a pollutant sensor. Cool to know what that strange looking thing by the battery is )

Anyways, as you have also said, I encountered many times bad odors in the car, so it's not really that efficient, I always had to activate re-circulation manually.
Wilhelm Sorban is online now  
#10 Old 01-20-2019
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rome
Vehicle: SLK 300 2015
Posts: 28
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VII7 View Post
It is done, I am free!!!

I know there are people who can perfectly live with classic manual AC control, I knew that was not me but then when buying this car I convinced myself that I could and it turns out I really can't.

So in case someone else finds themselves in this position here are the details. Unfortunately MB went a bit more Spartan on R172 basic AC hardware which means more parts are needed compared to R171.

Hardware (Cars are not prewired and wiring is not included in this list)
A1729004504 – Automatic Control Unit
A2118300272 – Air Temperature Sensor (Improves blower adjustment response time)
A1638300272 – Temperature Sensor for Right Legroom (Improves blower adjustment response time)
A0175450826 – Legroom Temperature Sensor Connector Bushing
A2049057501 – Sun Sensor (Enables blower variation with sun level)
*A2229051300 – Pollutant Sensor (Enables automatic recirculation when pollutant level detected)
*A1728300114 – Pollutant Sensor Bracket
*A2205400681 – Pollutant Sensor Connector Bushing
*A0039900251 – Mounting Nut for Pollutant Sensor Bracket
*A1728300203 – Dual Zone Heater Housing (Enables different temperature between left and right side)
*A1648202042 – Right Heat Blend Stepper Motor (Enables different temperature between left and right side)
*I am not fitting the pollutant sensor because it is too slow to actually help and not fitting the new heater housing because that requires dashboard removal.

Coding (Vediamo)
HVAC172 – RT_Einzeladressierung_Start 2C to 2A
HU45 – VCD_HU_Parameter HVAC Variant to 2-Zone (If you have COMAND)

BTW I previously tried the w204 automatic control unit, you can read about it here: https://www.slkworld.com/general-mod...ml#post3448762
Well, I read all your info but I don’t understand why the module I have installed doesn’t blow warm air can you suggest me something?
I reinstalled the old module and all is worlking properly
Maybe I need this to get warm air A2118300272?
opalis3 is offline  
#11 Old 01-20-2019
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 587
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 98 Times in 92 Posts
(Thread Starter)
You don't have hot air because you have not done the coding as noted in the first post.
The new control unit is trying to communicate with a motor you do not have.
You need to either do the coding as described or get the extra motor and wire it in (you can just leave it hanging around).
VII7 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to VII7 For This Useful Post:
#12 Old 01-21-2019
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,384
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Thanks: 63
Thanked 173 Times in 165 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm Sorban View Post
I never realized I had a pollutant sensor. Cool to know what that strange looking thing by the battery is )

Anyways, as you have also said, I encountered many times bad odors in the car, so it's not really that efficient, I always had to activate re-circulation manually.
It doesn't detect bad smells. What is a bad smell for one is parfume for another. It's detecting particles in the air.
Wilhelm Sorban likes this.
JudgeMing is offline  
#13 Old 01-21-2019
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cluj, Romania
Vehicle: 2011 - Edition 1 - SLK 250 R172
Posts: 474
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Thanks: 67
Thanked 58 Times in 34 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeMing View Post
It doesn't detect bad smells. What is a bad smell for one is parfume for another. It's detecting particles in the air.
Well not just bad odors. Many people in my country still use wood as means to heat their house. I have encountered many times this smoke smell, when walking by houses like this.

Also, if I have a car sitting in front of me, releasing gases, at a stop light, I can smell that too.
Wilhelm Sorban is online now  
#14 Old 01-21-2019
Registered Users
 
michal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Qatar, Doha
Vehicle: 2005 Mercedes R171 SLK 55 AMG
Other Toys: Porsche Targa 4S, SL 63 AMG, Yamaha XJ 1200
Posts: 15
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Very impressive. Good job.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
michal is offline  
#15 Old 01-23-2019
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rome
Vehicle: SLK 300 2015
Posts: 28
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VII7 View Post
You don't have hot air because you have not done the coding as noted in the first post.
The new control unit is trying to communicate with a motor you do not have.
You need to either do the coding as described or get the extra motor and wire it in (you can just leave it hanging around).
Could you let me know where install this ?
A2049057501 Is the sun sensor
Thanks
opalis3 is offline  
#16 Old 01-23-2019
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cluj, Romania
Vehicle: 2011 - Edition 1 - SLK 250 R172
Posts: 474
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Thanks: 67
Thanked 58 Times in 34 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalis3 View Post
Could you let me know where install this ?
A2049057501 Is the sun sensor
Thanks
The sun sensor is supposed to be installed in the plastic grille, on the top center of the dash.
The plastic grille must have a spot for this.

It must be either of the following grilles:
A1726800289 (if you also have the park assist (230))
A1726800389 (no analog clock, no park assist)
A1726802089 (with analog clock (246), with park assist (230))
A1726802289 (without park assist, but with analog clock)
Wilhelm Sorban is online now  
#17 Old 01-23-2019
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle: 2012 SLK350
Other Toys: CLS63
Posts: 587
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 98 Times in 92 Posts
(Thread Starter)
The place for the sun sensor is also blanked out so you could modify your existing one somewhat easily.
Wilhelm Sorban likes this.
VII7 is online now  
#18 Old 01-24-2019
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rome
Vehicle: SLK 300 2015
Posts: 28
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VII7 View Post
The place for the sun sensor is also blanked out so you could modify your existing one somewhat easily.
So i will find the cabling under the grilles? I opened the grilles and i have the cables just for the park assist
cause i found this
https://www.ebay.it/itm/2013-MERCEDE...1/202347414593

Thanks
opalis3 is offline  
#19 Old 01-24-2019
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cluj, Romania
Vehicle: 2011 - Edition 1 - SLK 250 R172
Posts: 474
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Thanks: 67
Thanked 58 Times in 34 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalis3 View Post
So i will find the cabling under the grilles? I opened the grilles and i have the cables just for the park assist
cause i found this
https://www.ebay.it/itm/2013-MERCEDE...1/202347414593

Thanks
No, what he meant was that the place for the sun sensor is marked on the grille, so it easier for you to cut it out yourself.
The cabling must be purchased separately, and wiring it below the dash (did something similar when I retrofitted my analog clock, was relatively easy).
Wilhelm Sorban is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > Mercedes Benz R172 SLK Class Cars > SLK R172 General Discussion

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retrofit option 537: DAB+ JudgeMing SLK R172 Class DIY 2 02-17-2019 03:48 AM
Retrofit option 234: Blind Spot Assistant JudgeMing SLK R172 Class DIY 4 10-04-2018 04:51 PM
Automatic brakes on fast track Impatient feds, automakers forge deal Berliner Heckflosse Off Topic 0 09-14-2015 01:16 AM
Migration airco 580 to 581 question JudgeMing General Modifications R171 0 05-04-2014 03:21 AM
Factory HIDS Retrofit - Hella Badged Option? mb911 Where to get R171 SLK Items 9 03-22-2010 11:18 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.