Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cluj, Romania
Vehicle: 2011 - Edition 1 - SLK 250 R172
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Thanked 68 Times in 38 Posts
I have now done the retrofit of the Blind spot sensors in the rear bumper.
The whole process took a little longer than 3 hours (took me 2 days to disassemble and reassemble the car).
Some things to note:
- After inspecting tons of pictures of rear bumpers which have BSA brackets, I guided myself to glue my brackets in regards to the top corner of the bumper (as seen in the image).
- WIS is saying that the power wire should go to front SAM, port 5C, pin 9 (as seen in the image).
- JudgeMing and Xentry diagnostics said to check the power cable in rear SAM, at fuse nr 59. Fuse spot was already used up, while pin 9 in 5C was available.
- Both places use a 5 AMP fuse
- My wiring came with a connector pin, not a fuse holder
- I therefore did as recommended by WIS
I did the coding through Vediamo, but I things are not yet functional.
Mirror LEDS do light up, if actuated by Xentry, but communication with the sensors is not working.
I suspect either:
- Vediamo coding is not sufficient, I have probably missed something in the plethora of parameters, will have to do the SCN online coding
- The used sensors are for Distronic + BSA, so probably they require to communicate through the Distronic controller, and not directly with the Central Gateway (as is the current case)
- The second-hand sensors are defective
I have of course ruled out the 12V power, and the continuity of the CAN wires (3.5 Ohms resistance).
One thing to note, just as JudgeMing, my color codes of the wires were black/brown and black (for the CAN cables).
I have discovered that these are the color codes for Distronic.
Unfortunately, since the Distronic control module goes in the passenger footwell, and that's where the wires are supposed to connect, for Distronic, the length of the wires was too short, so I had to solder an extension.
I have of course also tested the connection to the sensors before doing the wiring through the car, and before doing the extension work.
When I will do the Distronic retrofit, the CAN cables will come out of the front SAM, and go to the Distronic Control unit (N62/2).