Hello all, My name is Vasilis I am originally from Greece but live and work in the UK for a few years now. I will keep this as sort of a journal thread to keep track of what i've done to my car, it needs quite a bit of work done and the car seems to have ALL the common problems so this could be a good place for reference.
I am a BMW fanboy but most importantly a Petrolhead so when my girlfriend found a job and needed a car I jumped at the opportunity, showed her a few candidates and she decided on an SLK!
I have copy and pasted this first post from the welcoming section, the rest will be updated as I progress.
So we picked it up a couple of weeks ago for little over a Grand and it's an R170 of '98 230 Kompressor in Emerald Black with about 160k miles on the clock and a few issues.
Mechanically it seems to be ok, it drives brilliantly as a Merc should, is nice and comfy but powerful too. I plan to take it to my trusty mechanic on Saturday to have a good snoop around and see if everything seems ok (he is a personal friend too so I trust him) and then there is a list of things to take care of:
1. Central locking doesn't work. Everybody on the net says CL pump on this so first job will be to take it out open it up clean it with alcohol and check for any leaks where it is that might have caused it to die.
2. Check the roof and boot for any leaks with the jet wash.
3. Bonnet. Has had a tiny accident apparently, the front corner of the bonnet between the headlight and the grille has a massive dent and has rusted a bit.
4. Grille is not secure into place, might be broken or just not screwed/clipped in.
5. Bonnet strut does not hold the bonnet up; replace
6. Remove ugly CD changer from boot and tidy up the boot in general
7. Fix into place or replace the mp3 player on the dashboard.
8. Somehow fix or replace the center console as the trim has faded away from it.
9. Claybar the hell out of the paintwork, feels like sand paper at the moment due to dirt and contaminants, then clean, polish and wax it thoroughly.
10. Roof needs a "nudge" to get going, do something about that
11. Condensation in both Headlights and a LOT of it.
12. Passenger side window goes up too high and obstructs the door from closing.
That's my list but I don't mind putting in the work, my BMW was the same, sound mechanically but lots of issues like water leaks and bodywork issues.
Here are some photos of it from the advert:
And the problems with it