I have looked and have seen many posts on these subjects from 7-12 years ago, some with dead picture links and after a few hours, I gave up. I couldn't find my exact problems. Hoping this description will help someone identify what I should do, save going to a MB dealer and mortgaging my house for what seems to be a $3000 car (I bought it new at around $46000 and am really disappointed in the depreciation AND the trouble with only 28,000 miles on the clock).
1. My top has often refused to go down over the years. Everything works as far as the trunk and windows, but then the motor will just keep going. But a day or so later, everything works as it should when I try. It has been sporadic like that for at least 8 years. I had a MB-trained mechanic go over things about a year ago, and he said all was well. After that, the incidences of refusal-to-go-down were less, but not entirely stopped.
2. I had the top down for a couple of days and I put it back up yesterday. All was well, I thought.
3. Today I got in the car and parked it outside in 80 degree weather. When I got in to put it back into the garage, I found the headliner hanging down against my head. Seemed like their was air in it as it was filled like a balloon. It isn't damaged or discolored in any way...just sagging/ballooning down.
4. So I started searching for how to take the headliner down, to repair/replace/leave out. I saw the instruction to lower the top halfway. Well, at least today, it will not move again as in #1
5. So I start reading more and learn about leaking hydraulic locks, MBs commonly having saggy headliners, etc. and now I don't know what I have going on.
This car has only 28000 miles and has spent all of its nights garaged. Can anyone suggest where I can start? Is the ballooning possibly from fluid? How can I tell? If I need to lower the top manually and start by taking the headliner out, is there a good link to this process? I found some info links here, but they are so old my Windows10 can't show the videos. Of course, tomorrow, the top may decide to cooperate and go down.
Thanks for reading all this, and if anyone has any insight to help.