I’m new to the forum so please excuse me if I get anything wrong as this is my first post. I’m looking for some help, hints or guidance on what to do. The story:
- Got my SLK 230 back in May 17, it’s a UK registered P reg and I love it; had no problems with it until.......
- Managed to break the key in the door lock (aaaarrrgghhhh); due to a few reasons I wasn’t able to get this sorted immediately, the resultant of this being the battery went flat.
- Removed the lock from the door and had a company remove the broken blade and make me up a new key.
- Went back to the car, charged the battery and it started first go, no problems at all. Drove it for some 20 miles, smiling again.
- Went to start it a couple of days ago and that’s when things turned sour; the key goes into the ignition, but I cannot turn it at all - its like the steering lock is stuck on.
- Spoke to a good mate of mine who said that the SLK has an electric steering lock on it and if the battery was low there’d be a problem. So I went and got myself a decent battery, fitted it and.....
- The key still doesn’t turn in the ignition:
As I said, I’m looking for some tips/guidance on what to do. My plan is to have a beer and do some research but bottom line I am thinking of getting a new ignition barrel and key, get it fitted and hopefully that’ll sort things.
So my question is “is this a good plan, a simple way of curing the problem”????
Would appreciate your advice