Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Vehicle: 2003 SLK320 31,000 miles
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Thanked 231 Times in 161 Posts
Did half the plugs today, i.e. the right (passenger) side. Took maybe an hour and a half, but I work slowly. No surprises. No anti-seize used or recommended. Torque to 28 nm. Used a dab of dielectric grease in the wire connectors. Had the recommended tool and it was very, very helpful both to remove and to reinstall the connectors. I wouldn't recommend doing the job without it. Only plug that gave me any trouble was the one closest to the firewall. Had to get a little creative with my extensions to get it out. BTW, used a 3" extension on all of the plugs except that one at the firewall. All the plugs came out without any serious difficulty. Hope to get the next six in the next day or so.
Old plugs had less than 20K miles on them, but they had been in there for over seven years. Plugs are a 100K mile/five year service. Car will be going to my daughter this spring, so I figured if I changed them out now that she would never have to mess with them. If I was keeping the car, I might have let it go a little while longer.
2003 SLK320 40,000 miles - now lives in Tucson with my daughter
1959 220S Cabriolet - sold - now lives in Malta
1983 240D 351,000 miles original owner - sold
1999 E300D 215,000 miles
2014 Smart electric 17,000 miles
2014 Smart electric 9,000 miles