Haven't really taken any photos of the car yet, but here's a one outside and one inside. This is before it's been touched.
So other than the roof working again which is a HUGE relief, I took a trip to a car breakers. They'd listed a yellow boot from a pre facelift R170 and it looked great. When I got there, they cleaned it up for me to see the paintwork, and it really looked in good condition. A few very small chips that will need touch up but that's all. So I handed over £80 and put it in the car. While I was there, I enquired about a grill. Although they didn't have one in good condition, they did have a broken one with the emblem in good condition. So handed over another £10 and came home.
Here's the issue with the boot lid, clearcoat is peeling off in spades
Boot post claying. The 'S' of the rear badge fell off, so I took the lot off. Residue was removed with a lot of elbow grease and tar/glue remover.
The boot was taken in garage and given a thorough clean with APC (both sides). Wiped down again and clayed the paint. LOTS of contaminants removed and the paint was left very clean and smooth. Then I machine polished it with a Megs 6" MF cutting pad and Megs correction compound. This left a fantastic finish. Finally a quick coat of Megs wax and finished.
So that's all finished ready to put on the car, all existing parts will be moved over to the new boot lid. Hope it's not too hard LOL.
With the emblem removed from the newly obtained grill, I cleaned it again with APC, then gave it a quick polish. Took the old one off the car, popped the new one on. Much better
Old tarnished on the left, new fitted on the right
Next the wing mirror. My drivers mirror was at some point a working dimming/heated mirror. However the dimming part had failed allowing the fluid to leak. Quite a mess and almost impossible to see out of. So followed the instructions on here and popped it off:
The new mirror is heated only and has 2 tags to fit crimp connectors to. The original however has a 4 pin connector. I metered the old mirror and pretty sure that I know the pins for the heating as they read 4 ohms. The other pins go to wires that attached to an element for the dimming (I think)
. Anyway, new mirror is on and I can finally see
So that's it for today. Plan tomorrow is to get the bootlid fitted although I'm waiting on my socket drive torx and hex bits so can't do it till they arrive. Got to order some touch up paint and some rust killer for the arches.