1999 SLK 230 Kompressor Montage! - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

SLK R170 General Discussion SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320, SLK32 AMG

 8Likes
  • 1 Post By ichris93
  • 1 Post By efair
  • 1 Post By ichris93
  • 1 Post By efair
  • 1 Post By Avel Du
  • 1 Post By leapyfish
  • 1 Post By ichris93
  • 1 Post By Sean A. Pepper
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-15-2015
Registered Users
 
Sean A. Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Vancouver, BC CANADA
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor
Other Toys: 2015 Kia Forte LOL
Posts: 18
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
1999 SLK 230 Kompressor Montage!

Ok, so I traded my 2000 BMW X5 for this car and am now using it as my daily driver. There are lots of issues that need work and so, in between work and play, I have been doing all the repairs myself.

LIST OF ISSUES:

Paper thin brakes (front) - I managed to get Bosch Pads w/Sensors & Drilled Slotted Rotors for less than $80. Buying on-line takes longer but worth the price you pay. (FIXED)

Went through a carwash... Tranny in Safe Mode - Well that was an ordeal. I disconnected and cleaned out the harness with an air blower and used di-electric gel in it. Have washed the car BY HAND ONLY and driven in the rain a few times and it hasn't happened so I think I'm good there. Paid $70 for a STAR reset. (FIXED)

Headlight out - Was missing the harness that connects to the headlight assembly. Purchased at wrecker for $5. (FIXED)

No reverse lights, One brake light out - I'm having problems here. All the bulbs are good and I've checked fuses. The other lights all work so I don't know what to do here. Maybe replace that rear assembly totally? The check light is on so I don't know if it's wiring or water got in there and I need to check wires?

Top won't open/close - The driver side rear pump broke off its mount and now the top wont open or close. I can't seem to locate the emergency straps either. One buckle is free so in the meantime its top down only. Also can't close the trunk. This one may be dicey. Also fluid is low. Gives me a headache this one...

Blows hot air only - I have seen that cleaning the duo valve could possibly fix this so I'll be spending some time to tackle that. Failing this, I'll just get one from a wrecker. I also need to do a recharge on the AC.

Gas Gauge doesn't work - The light comes on and then nothing. Sending unit done? I tried to press in the harness at the back but that had no effect.

Key-less Locks don't work - PSE Pump was kind of corroded. I cleaned it up and still couldn't get it to work. Tried a different unit and still nothing. Need more research for this one for sure.

Temperature reads -38 C - So I've been trying to locate the temp sensor, or if it's missing, the harness so I can buy a new one. Might need to look at some wiring diagrams for this. Supposed to be in the bumper right? Anyone else have that issue?

Makes that old car sound - When ever I give it gas, I hear this old car sound, it's super hard to describe but you might just get it from the description. I will be changing the spark plugs but I really don't have any clues as to what causes it... Exhaust maybe?

After I did my brakes and rotors and driving away, my step dad was yelling for me to stop the car. Gasoline was pissing out the bottom of the car. IMMEDIATELY shut off and rolled it away. It seemed to stop when the car wasn't running. Went underneath and my fuel pump must have cracked because it was leaking hard from there. Will go to wreckers tomorrow. I can get a brand new Bosch for $160 so I'll offer $80.

Rear-view Mirror Issues - Looks like someone puked on it and it's loose. Can't be cleaned so I guess I'll be replacing it or getting those ultra wide covers.

So that's pretty much it right now. I know it's a lot but the value of the x5 was $5000 and resale for a good condition in the same year on craigs is $10-12,000. Much better resale, even if it's not practical at all compared to the SUV.

Any suggestions, or condolences are welcome!

Sean
Sean A. Pepper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-15-2015
Registered Users

 
ichris93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Vehicle: 05 C240; Sold-2001 SLK 230 6 Speed
Posts: 469
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Thanks: 64
Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
Welcome Sean! We will help you get your SLK up to snuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean A. Pepper View Post
No reverse lights, One brake light out - I'm having problems here. All the bulbs are good and I've checked fuses. The other lights all work so I don't know what to do here. Maybe replace that rear assembly totally? The check light is on so I don't know if it's wiring or water got in there and I need to check wires?
It is likely your switch. https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-cla...h-slkr170.html

Quote:
Top won't open/close - The driver side rear pump broke off its mount and now the top wont open or close. I can't seem to locate the emergency straps either. One buckle is free so in the meantime its top down only. Also can't close the trunk. This one may be dicey. Also fluid is low. Gives me a headache this one...
The pump broke off its mount? You probably need to do some sourcing for parts for that too. It needs to be orientated properly with proper fluid levels to work. Do you know how to operate the top manually?

Quote:
Blows hot air only - I have seen that cleaning the duo valve could possibly fix this so I'll be spending some time to tackle that. Failing this, I'll just get one from a wrecker. I also need to do a recharge on the AC.
You are on the right track here.

Quote:
Gas Gauge doesn't work - The light comes on and then nothing. Sending unit done? I tried to press in the harness at the back but that had no effect.
Try using Techron Concentrate Plus with Fuel System Cleaner in the tank. After you have run through the tank, if you haven't already, change the fuel filter. I have read on here that some people had their fuel gauge read more accurately after using it. Additionally, check your grounds.

Quote:
Key-less Locks don't work - PSE Pump was kind of corroded. I cleaned it up and still couldn't get it to work. Tried a different unit and still nothing. Need more research for this one for sure.
Have you checked for right light or tried reprogramming? https://www.slkworld.com/347333-post3.html

Quote:
Makes that old car sound - When ever I give it gas, I hear this old car sound, it's super hard to describe but you might just get it from the description. I will be changing the spark plugs but I really don't have any clues as to what causes it... Exhaust maybe?
Get the CEL codes pulled and post them here.

Quote:
Rear-view Mirror Issues - Looks like someone puked on it and it's loose. Can't be cleaned so I guess I'll be replacing it or getting those ultra wide covers.
Find one at the wreckers if you can.
Sean A. Pepper likes this.
ichris93 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ichris93 For This Useful Post:
#3 Old 07-15-2015
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 55; 2005 SLK 350
Other Toys: Several past R170's
Posts: 4,275
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 580 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Thanks: 155
Thanked 514 Times in 475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean A. Pepper View Post
Went through a carwash... Tranny in Safe Mode - Well that was an ordeal. I disconnected and cleaned out the harness with an air blower and used di-electric gel in it. Have washed the car BY HAND ONLY and driven in the rain a few times and it hasn't happened so I think I'm good there. Paid $70 for a STAR reset. (FIXED)
Pull back the passenger carpet and stick your hand as far down as you can -- is the foam padding below the carpet wet? If yes, with water or ATF?

Quote:

No reverse lights, One brake light out - I'm having problems here. All the bulbs are good and I've checked fuses. The other lights all work so I don't know what to do here. Maybe replace that rear assembly totally? The check light is on so I don't know if it's wiring or water got in there and I need to check wires?
Agreed on the reverse switch. On the brake light out, remove the tail light assembly and inspect for burn marks around that bulb. You may be able to grind away and patch with solder.

Quote:
After I did my brakes and rotors and driving away, my step dad was yelling for me to stop the car. Gasoline was pissing out the bottom of the car. IMMEDIATELY shut off and rolled it away. It seemed to stop when the car wasn't running. Went underneath and my fuel pump must have cracked because it was leaking hard from there. Will go to wreckers tomorrow. I can get a brand new Bosch for $160 so I'll offer $80.
Yikes -- fire hazard! Get a new one, worth the money.
Quote:
Rear-view Mirror Issues - Looks like someone puked on it and it's loose. Can't be cleaned so I guess I'll be replacing it or getting those ultra wide covers.
$100 for auto-dimming mirror repair at Sybesma's Electronics (search google for them).
Sean A. Pepper likes this.
efair is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to efair For This Useful Post:
 
#4 Old 07-15-2015
Registered Users

 
ichris93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Vehicle: 05 C240; Sold-2001 SLK 230 6 Speed
Posts: 469
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Thanks: 64
Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efair View Post
100 for auto-dimming mirror repair at Sybesma's Electronics (search google for them).
He said his was loose, would they fix that too?
Sean A. Pepper likes this.
ichris93 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ichris93 For This Useful Post:
#5 Old 07-15-2015
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 55; 2005 SLK 350
Other Toys: Several past R170's
Posts: 4,275
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 580 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Thanks: 155
Thanked 514 Times in 475 Posts
No, Sybesma's doesn't touch the mounting, just R&R's the auto-dimming glass.

I'd be interested in how to tighten the rear-view mirror myself.
Sean A. Pepper likes this.
efair is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to efair For This Useful Post:
#6 Old 07-15-2015
Super Moderator/RoTMorganiser

 
Avel Du's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Wirral, England
Vehicle: 2007 SLK55AMG
Other Toys: 2009 SLK 350 (Bluebadger), MK I Nissan Murano (2008), Honda VFR 800 FiW (1998), CB400four f2 (1978)
Posts: 22,757
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2243 Post(s)
Thanks: 1,944
Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,338 Posts
Garage
Rear mirror.
Assuming the base to windscreen is steady and just the mirror and case are loose.

Had same issue with bike. The fix is to (gently) rotate mirror assembly whilst holding on to the base to steady.
Do not know if it will work on cars but its a free fix if it does.
Sean A. Pepper likes this.
Avel Du is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Avel Du For This Useful Post:
#7 Old 07-15-2015
Premium Member
 
leapyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Vehicle: Daily driver 1998 SLK230 243,xxx miles
Posts: 3,505
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Thanks: 960
Thanked 527 Times in 415 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean A. Pepper View Post
Went through a carwash... Tranny in Safe Mode - Well that was an ordeal. I disconnected and cleaned out the harness with an air blower and used di-electric gel in it. Have washed the car BY HAND ONLY and driven in the rain a few times and it hasn't happened so I think I'm good there. Paid $70 for a STAR reset. (FIXED)
Sean
Safe mode does not necessarily mean a transmission problem it could be other things,
did the check engine light come on? get or borrow a code reader & have the codes read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean A. Pepper View Post
Top won't open/close - The driver side rear pump broke off its mount and now the top wont open or close. I can't seem to locate the emergency straps either. One buckle is free so in the meantime its top down only. Also can't close the trunk. This one may be dicey. Also fluid is low. Gives me a headache this one...
Sean
The hydraulic pump on the right hand side of the car, there is no hydraulic pump on the left side.
Here is where all the bits are Top Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean A. Pepper View Post
Blows hot air only - I have seen that cleaning the duo valve could possibly fix this so I'll be spending some time to tackle that. Failing this, I'll just get one from a wrecker. I also need to do a recharge on the AC.
Sean
Have a look into the 2nd to last link in my signature for the "Crossfire service manual" (The Crossfire has the same chassis etc. etc & a/c as the SLK) there is a troubleshooting guide & how to fix a/c problems there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean A. Pepper View Post
Temperature reads -38 C - So I've been trying to locate the temp sensor, or if it's missing, the harness so I can buy a new one. Might need to look at some wiring diagrams for this. Supposed to be in the bumper right? Anyone else have that issue?
Sean
Here is where the external temp sensor is Component Locations b14 its a different body style but its around the same spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean A. Pepper View Post
Rear-view Mirror Issues - Looks like someone puked on it and it's loose. Can't be cleaned so I guess I'll be replacing it or getting those ultra wide covers.
Sean
The roll bars will interfere with view from a ultra wide rearview mirror.
If a non automatic dimming mirror is ok you can get a manual one for about $80.
Sean A. Pepper likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vario roof
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R170 & R171
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SLK 230 320 32AMG
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
leapyfish is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to leapyfish For This Useful Post:
#8 Old 07-16-2015
Registered Users

 
ichris93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Vehicle: 05 C240; Sold-2001 SLK 230 6 Speed
Posts: 469
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Thanks: 64
Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapyfish View Post
The hydraulic pump on the right hand side of the car, there is no hydraulic pump on the left side.
Here is where all the bits are Top Operation


Have a look into the 2nd to last link in my signature for the "Crossfire service manual" (The Crossfire has the same chassis etc. etc & a/c as the SLK) there is a troubleshooting guide & how to fix a/c problems there.


Here is where the external temp sensor is Component Locations b14 its a different body style but its around the same spot.
Good catch on the location of the pump.

As far as the AC goes, it may not need a recharge. If the car thinks its way below freezing outside it will not engage the AC, I believe.
Sean A. Pepper likes this.
ichris93 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ichris93 For This Useful Post:
#9 Old 07-18-2015
Registered Users
 
Sean A. Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Vancouver, BC CANADA
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Kompressor
Other Toys: 2015 Kia Forte LOL
Posts: 18
Country:
Chats: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thank you to everyone who chipped in on this.

I will be tackling these issues one by one so i'll take your advice and post updates!
ichris93 likes this.
Sean A. Pepper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mercedes Benz SLK Forum > Mercedes Benz R170 SLK Class Cars > SLK R170 General Discussion

Bookmarks

Tags
fuel pump, hard top, problems, r170, slk 230

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Upload your files to MEGAUPLOAD
Upload your images to ImageShack

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes Benz SLK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tetra intoduction 1999 Slk 230 Tetra New Members Introduce Yourself Here 13 06-27-2015 01:24 PM
1999 slk 230 amg CCRIDER SLK Cars For Sale 12 05-29-2015 01:12 PM
New Owner 1999 SLK 230 Sport, 5 Speed Manual MBDiagMan New Members Introduce Yourself Here 26 06-25-2013 11:10 PM
1999 SLK 230 - 170K miles - Keep her? KMET 94.7 SLK R170 General Discussion 15 05-13-2011 11:26 PM
Help: Fab Design MERCEDES 230 SLK KOMPRESSOR 1999 sunray General Discussion 3 12-24-2008 10:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Clubs, Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.