Join Date: May 2010
Vehicle: 2005 SLK 55; 2005 SLK 350
Other Toys: Several past R170's
Mentioned: 583 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Thanked 516 Times in 477 Posts
I'll give you a hint for when you reinstall it (I just learned this trick today).
Each cylinder is affixed by one long pin in the front and one short pin in the rear. Note these pins are not the same diameter either.
The short rear pin attaches the yoke of the cylinder to two independent steel levers, each with holes in them. Reinstalling this pin requires you to align the yoke and both of these steel members, which requires three hands to do!
Before you start, cut a half inch length from a wood dowel. In my case I used a 3/8 diameter dowel, but any diameter is OK as long as the diameter is less than or equal to the diameter of the short pin.
- assumption is the relief valve is open and key is off
- prop the roof halfway open with John's broomstick
- push the shaft into the cylinder as far as possible and fit the cylinder loosely into place.
- install the front pin.
- close the roof
- use the dowel to join the two steel levers together
- pull the yoke out of the cylindet until the holes align
- insert the pin, pushing the dowel out as you do.