I'm new to the SLK domain but planning to trade my alfa romeo 916 spider 3.0 V6 12v for a SLK. My wife fell in love with this car from their launch and they now become in the budget-area where I can consider getting myselve one of those
But before diving into a nightmare, I appreciate all advice that can protect me!
Things I would consider to check when going for any second hand convertible:
- does the roof open/close smoothly?
- is the roof free from leaks?
- is the history of the car known, well cared for, preferably dealer/specialist?
- no major dents/scratches/etc?
- is the ride OK (no major rattles, no pulling to the side when braking, clutch not to heavy, 2nd gear not jumping out, etc.)?
- all electronics ok?
- airco still cold?
but more specifically on the SLK R170...
- is there a belt that requires regular maintenance? what's the interval?
- any maintenance specifically required when exceeding 100k km's?
- anything else to give specific R170 attention to?
Perhaps this advice is allready posted, but I could not find it so all references to top-threads are also highly appreciated!
look forward to share with you my experience in hunting for the best R170 that my budget allows for...