Join Date: Nov 2013
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 200 Kompressor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My car won't start
I'm facing a strange persistent problem, my car has been in about 5 shops, for over 1 and a half months now.
My car: a 2002 SLK 200 Kompressor
I parked it one evening and when I tried to start it, the engine started for like a second then stopped suddenly, afterwards I couldn't start the car at all and I got an "Start Error" on the board computer.
What I've tried:
1. Tried to use the spare key
2. Checked the battery (varta, 1 year old), although it seemed to give the full voltage (I think it was 12V)
3. Changed the electronic motor
4. Checked the wiring of the entire ignition, everything looks intact and perfect, never been opened before
5.I tried to pull the car with another to force it to start, it started and after that I was able to start it using the key every time. I left it for about 15 minutes then tried to start it again, same problem.
6. The guys at the last shop tried to program the computer but it doesn't respond and they don't know what component is causing the problem.
7. The guys from the shop found a kit ignition (keys, ignition coil, modulator, computer) from an SLK 230, they tried to install the SLK200 software on it but they couldn't
The car is in a very good condition, 50,000 km, and has never been tampered with, I'm losing my mind here.
Any advice is appreciated.