Its yet again been a wile since I last posted on here... but that's not to say I havnt been busy!
Yet again I was looking through Ebay and found you could perchase new wind deflectors, ones that replace the not so nice looking black material one that limits visability when in place...
But found the ones that strap to the rolls bars pretty ugly and the ones that screw into place £150-£200 and I was not willing to pay that.
So yet again I set myself a task to create my own and this is how I did it.
First I ordered a 1142mm by 381mm bit of 6mm Plastic from the internet. This came to £40 including postage... which is expensive but not anywhere near the £200 mark.
From here i had to remove the two clips that hold the original wind deflector in place, situated just above the leather pocket. this is really easy and just requires one screw to be removed and then it twists off.
This meant I had a better idea of how the plastic sheet was to fit.
There is however two knobs on each side. instead of removing these (unsure if its possible) I used them to stabilize the deflector further.
I first sat the plastic on top of these knobs and worked out the exact central position i needed.
Once i had it in the right place I then worked out how far down i wanted the plastic to come down. (5cm) I then used a jigsaw to cut two slits on either side.
Now this was the correct height and position i was able to get a good outline of where each head rest sat. once this was done I measured the distance between the two and halved it... giving me the top of the middle circle. Luckily an old garden table provided a perfect outline.
I then proceeded to jigsaw around the area i wanted to cut
Once this was done i decided to add two whole on each side... one due to the overall look of the deflector and two because every hard plastic deflector i had seen seemed to all have some sort of vent.... this, i decided would be my vent :P (dont ask me why but it seems to work!)
Now I faced a problem of a small amount of plastic covering the pocket on the back wall.... which i find very handy. so I cut a small section from the deflector to allow me to use it once more.
Once this was done... all the hard work had been done... I drilled two wholes where the clips screws were situated to allow me to screw the deflector in (screws taken from clip still work)
I then sanded all the edges down and made it look presentable... I even added a small amount of silver strip i used in my CLK Grill Repair Mod, with great effect.
Lastly i added a Merc Star. just a simple window transfer but i think it just finished it off
Here is the finished product... and I couldn't be happier.
I also added a small sticky pad on either sides of the top roll bar section of deflector. To stop any rattle, tap or rubbing seen as the rolls bars face slightly forward.