“No CD Player”
When I purchased my ’03 SLK320 about a month ago the stereo would give me the “No CD Player” message – the previous owner said it just started happening about a year prior to my purchase. I got the car home and took out his old "talky book" CD’s and felt up the connections to see if I could feel anything out of the ordinary – nothing.
I talked to the nearby MB dealer and they thought it might be a “programing” issue. I went ahead and made an appointment as I wanted to have them give the car a complete inspection. They had done an inspection on a car I didn’t purchase and I was very pleased with the result and the fact they let me watch and inspect the car myself while up on the lift.
So the weekend before my appointment I detailed the car as I got to know it better. I ejected the CD magazine and inserted my own disks so the dealer would have something to use during the diagnostic. When I finished my detailing I took the car for a ride and decided to see what would happen if I tried the CD player again. Worked perfect, all six disks where available and I could move about the disks at will…got to love a car that self-repairs!
I had no issues with the CD player for weeks, it worked just fine, I went ahead with the inspection and replaced the steering dampener, otherwise the car checked out excellent – the master tech with 25+ years MB experience commented I had rare gem that was in exceptional, unmolested, and in very well cared for condition…which was already evident to me after my weekend getting to know the car.
On an evening cruise the “No CD Player” message returned, I was sad
but not too concerned given this wasn’t my first rodeo with the message. This time “playing” with the CD magazine made matters worse. I got a disk stuck out into the unit's playing laser. I took the unit out of the bracket and gently tapped it and got the disk back into the magazine and ejected the magazine. Whew! With the unit removed from the bracket I inspected the connections and did not uncover any visual concerns.
I then turned to the “interweb” and found an interesting YouTube video. (linked below). I took the player to my bench and carefully took off the unit’s cover and cleaned and lubed everything per the video. I got the player reassembled and back into the car…so far so good.
The unit works again, no codes and it also seems to respond a little faster to inputs – while I can’t say I noticed anything terribly dirty, the fresh clean light duty white lithium grease did seem to improve how things moved as I progressed with the maintenance.
I am happy.