After searching ebay I found most SLK/CLK grill where around £120-£250, and as much as I LOVED the look, I was not about to spend that just yet...
I did however find a CLK grill being sold for £7.50 plus £7 postage... the reason being two Chrome bits where missing,
I searched online and found replacements ranging from £50 to £120, so proper replacements went out the window... but then I remembered seeing a reel of Chrome strip in Halfords (English car store) so I took a gamble and bought both... worst scenario was I lost £24.50, but the best Scenario ... I save £100.
Here is the process of fixing the grill and modifying it to fit my SLK.
The Grill with two Chrome bits missing
Chrome Strip £9.99
The Chrome was really easy to cut, It came with sticky back plastic to stick to your desired spot but I decided to use some strong glue instead (Also Merc Star was black, I resprayed this Silver with some old Primer I had and Silver/Chrome paint)
Once all glue had set, I went to work on adapting the grill to fit my SLK, Cutting the top part out, and also the side nobs of the girll (no picture sorry)
From there I cut a finger nails depth out of my bumper, allowing the grill to slightly come forward and thus letting the bonnet close properly.
Now I needed to fabricate a way to fasen the grill to my car, this grill is slightly smaller than the OEM slk, so i desired to cut and bend a strip of metal. Each one was different to the last, allowing the grill to fit perfectly.
I used a clamp and hammer to bend to my desired shape
I drilled a whole and fasened them to the car.
Finally I drilled a whole in the grill making sure to leave at least 1cm form the edge. I chose to pop Rivet the metal strips to the grill, allowing for a stronger and better look when bonnet is open.
And i was done, I fitted my newly sprayed Merc Star in and hey presto.
I understand i could have spent £200 on a clk style slk grill and not have any of the hassle, but to me DIY on your car is fun, and you get a bigger grin on your face once the job is done. and in this case I saved £100
Here are my before....